DBAN is free erasure software designed for the home user. It automatically deletes the contents of any hard disk that it can detect. This method can help prevent identity theft before recycling a computer. DBAN is also a commonly used solution to remove viruses and spyware from Microsoft Windows installations.
However, DBAN users should be aware of some product limitations, including:
- No guarantee of data removal (e.g. DBAN does not detect or securely erase SSDs)
- No audit-ready reporting for regulatory compliance
- Limited hardware support (e.g. no RAID dismantling)
- No customer support or regular software updates
What's new in Darik's Boot and Nuke (DBAN) v2.3:
- Buildroot updated to 2015.02 (new kernel version is 3.18.6).
- "nousb" option removed in autonuke mode. Instead filtering out USB media in the shell script.
- Added possibility to save debug report (dmesg+dwipe logs) at the end of erasure. Pre-requirement: USB stick should be formatted and inserted to PC before the erasure is finished).
- Fixed silent boot.
- HPSA support enabled.
- Report screen modified (only disks selected for erasure will be shown).