Over the last week there has been a ton of buzz around Microsoft's upcoming device update which we have confirmed will be labeled as the Zune HD. We've teamed up with Ryan Rea (aka volvoshine) from LiveSide.net and are going to let the world know what we do and do not know about the Zune HD. We've got the green light to go ahead and share the specs that our sources within Microsoft have confirmed to us.
An overview of the Zune HD specs:
- 3.6 inchish OLED full touch screen.
- NVIDIA Tegra powered.
- 4GB, 8GB, 16GB, 32GB, and
- HDMI Connection to stream straight to your TV.
- HD Radio.
- Web Browser.
- WiFi compatible, with wireless marketplace.
- Released, early fall.
- International release of the Zune device itself.
- Home AV packs, Car packs, Charge packs.
- Company insiders tipped us off with the possibility of a limited edition dock accessory in various colors.
- 3D Xbox Game Support?
- Windows Mobile 7 preview bits included? (Maybe these reports mean an early WinMo 7 beta?)
The entire Zune platform is being completely overhauled, just as Steve Ballmer mentioned back at CES earlier this year. You've got the software division and the hardware division. There have been reports and speculation that this could possibly be the last Zune release, however I'm very confident that Microsoft is going to be competitive this time around with the Zune.
As we reported earlier this year, the Zune is here to stay. As soon as more information is available regarding the Zune HD, we'll pass it on. Remember, take the speculation and rumors with a grain of salt before getting too excited. Keep your eyes open on May 14, your Zune software might just be updating.