Shotcut is a free, open source, cross-platform video editor for Windows, Mac and Linux. Major features include support for a wide range of formats; no import required meaning native timeline editing; Blackmagic Design support for input and preview monitoring; and resolution support to 4k.
- Trimming on source clip player or timeline with ripple option
- Append, insert, overwrite, lift, and ripple delete editing on the timeline
- 3-point editing
- Hide, mute, and lock track controls
- Multitrack timeline with thumbnails and waveforms
- Unlimited undo and redo for playlist edits including a history view
- Create, play, edit, save, load, encode, and stream MLT XML projects (with auto-save)
- Save and load trimmed clip as MLT XML file
- Load and play complex MLT XML file as a clip
- Drag-n-drop files from file manager
- Scrubbing and transport control
- Video compositing across video tracks
- HTML5 (sans audio and video) as video source and filters
- 3-way (shadows, mids, highlights) color wheels for color correction and grading
- Eye dropper tool to pick neutral color for white balancing
- Fade in/out audio and fade video from and to black with easy-to-use fader controls on timeline
- Video wipe transitions:
- bar, barn door, box, clock (radial), diagonal, iris, matrix, and custom gradient image
- Track compositing/blending modes:
- Over, Add, Saturate, Multiply, Screen, Overlay, Darken, Dodge, Burn, Hard Light, Soft Light, Difference, Exclusion, HSL Hue, HSL Saturation, HSL Color, HSL Luminosity.
- Video Filters:
- Alpha Channel: Adjust, Alpha Channel: View, Blur, Brightness, Chroma Key: Advanced, Chroma Key: Simple, Contrast, Color Grading, Crop, Diffusion, Glow, Invert Colors, Key Spill: Advanced, Key Spill: Simple, Mirror, Old Film: Dust, Old Film: Grain, Old Film: Projector, Old Film: Scratches, Old Film: Technocolor, Opacity, Rotate, Rutt-Etra-Izer, Saturation, Sepia Tone, Sharpen, Size and Position, Stabilize, Text, Vignette, Wave, White Balance
- Speed effect for audio/video clips
- Blackmagic Design SDI and HDMI for input and preview monitoring
- Leap Motion for jog/shuttle control
- Webcam capture
- Audio capture to system audio card
- Capture (record) SDI, HDMI, webcam (V4L2), JACK audio, PulseAudio, IP stream, X11 screen, and Windows DirectShow devices
- Multi-core parallel image processing (when not using GPU and frame-dropping is disabled)
- DeckLink SDI keyer output
- OpenGL GPU-based image processing with 16-bit floating point linear per color component
What's new in Shotcut 21.02.27:
Added a file naming dialog for Export > From > Each Playlist Item > Export File.
Added the ability to repair a near future version project file.
(Version 21.04 is expected to change the project file in a manner incompatible with previous versions.)
Added an error dialog when trying to open a far future version project file.
- Upgraded JACK audio library on Windows to version 1.9.17.
- Fixed a possible crash using a PNG with alpha channel (transparency) especially with a Size, Position & Rotate filter (broke in version 20.06).
- Fixed seeking video in some files particularly AVCHD (broke in v21.01).
- Fixed changing Properties > Video > Color Range does not work (broke in v21.01).
- Fixed selecting text with the mouse in various filter numeric fields (broke in v21.01).
- Fixed difficult to enter some numbers in various filter numeric fields (broke in v21.01).
- Fixed unable to make tracks as short as before (broke in v21.01).
- Fixed time bar in Timeline & Keyframes hidden on vertical scroll and not clickable (broke in v21.01).
- Fixed scroll bars in Timeline & Keyframes may clash with clips or keyframes making them difficult to use (regression in v21.01).
- Fixed keyframes disappear when changing selected clips on various filters (broke in v21.01):
- Fixed appending to the timeline may change the current track.
- Fixed Properties > Extract sub-clip on a file with cover art.
- Fixed File > Export Frame on a clip with a Text: Rich filter.
- Fixed toggle Properties > Image sequence may deadlock on high frame rate video mode or break playback.
- Fixed Timeline > Merge with next clip may move other clips on the track.
- Fixed undo a trim in point on Timeline may shift other clips on the track.
- Fixed undo after trim in point to create a 1 frame transition may delete the clip.
- Fixed right-click in Playlist icons view mode on breaks multiple selection on Windows.
- Fixed Properties > Convert after Timeline > Detach Audio makes video black.
- Fixed some keyboard shortcuts may be broken when not using English (United States) language.
- Fixed possible crash on Windows due to not loading the packaged DLL over one in a system folder or in %PATH%.
- Fixed a crash when selecting a missing video clip.
- Fixed unicode in Text: Rich > Save As followed by Open.
Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware