Spybot - Search & Destroy is an anti-malware application designed for on-access and on-demand scanning and removal of various kinds of malware, including spyware, adware, hijackers and trojan horses. Spyware silently tracks your surfing behaviour to create a marketing profile for you that is transmitted without your knowledge to the compilers and sold to advertising companies.
If you see new toolbars in your Internet Explorer that you haven't intentionally installed, if your browser crashes inexplicably, or if your home page has been "hijacked" (or changed without your knowledge), your computer is most probably infected with spyware. Even if you don't see the symptoms, your computer may be infected, because more and more spyware is emerging. Spybot-S&D is free, so there's no harm giving it a try to see if something has invaded your computer. Spybot-S&D can also clean usage tracks, an interesting function if you share your computer with other users and don't want them to see what you have been working on. And for professional users, Spybot-S&D allows you to fix some registry inconsistencies and extended reports.
Beta 6 features:
- Windows 8 Security Center support
- A modern and cleaned up user interface
- Updated help document and style
- Master Boot Record scans using SDRootAlyzer
- Installer now detects more recent versions of Spybot-S&D
- Added Uninstall Wizard to maintain undo immunization or recovery
- Fixed exceptions when scanning files on a network share
- Tests on Windows 8 are not completely finished
- This version does not offer the Live Protection component
- SDChrome has been removed; the web browser extensions will be rewritten using a more flexible concept.
Remember it is a beta and as such not a replacement for the stable version 1.6.2.