VLC media player is a highly portable multimedia player for various audio and video formats (MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, DivX, mp3, ogg, ...) as well as DVDs, VCDs, and various streaming protocols. It can also be used as a server to stream in unicast or multicast in IPv4 or IPv6 on a high-bandwidth network.
VLC plays absolutely anything. It supports an enormous number of multimedia formats, and does not require you to download additional codecs. VLC features a complete streaming server, with extended features like video on demand, on-the-fly transcoding, granular speed controls, frame-by-frame advancement and more. It can also be used as a server for unicast or multicast streams in IPv4 or IPv6 on a high-bandwidth network.
VLC Media Player now features fully customizable toolbars, customizable Skins, supports playback for broken files as well as zipped files, and so much more.
What's new in this version:
- Support for CDXL, Ut Video, VBLE, Dxtory codecs via libavcodec
- Numerous improvements on the OpenMAX IL codec module
- Support for Ulead DV audio
- Support for TechSmith Screen Codec 2, Microsoft Expression Encoder Screen, Microsoft Application Screen Decoder 1 (MSS1) and 2 (MSS2)
- Support for Indeo Audio Coder, RealAudio Lossless [full release notes]
Download: VLC Media Player 2.1.0 RC2 | 23.0 MB (Open Source)
Download: VLC Media Player Portable | 20.2 MB
Download: VLC Media Player 2.1.0 RC2 64-bit | Portable 64-bit | 22.0 MB
Download: VLC Media Player 2.1.0 RC2 for Linux | VLC 2.0.8 for Mac
View: VLC Media Player Website | Support