Bvckup 2 is a mirroring data backup software notable for its use of delta copying, speed of operation, small resource footprint and a "beautifully functional" user interface. The software replicates files from one location to another in their original format and purposefully does not include options for compressing or encrypting them. It does however include a comprehensive list of supporting features including periodic and real-time backup scheduling, removable device tracking and shadow copying support. Ideal for making local backups, backups going to external and removable drives as well as to NAS devices.
Bvckup 2 features:
- Real-time, scheduled and manual backups
- Very fast, delta file copying
- Excellent user interface
- Backup of locked files with shadow copying
- Removable device tracking
- Move/rename detection
- Windows XP and newer
- Full 64-bit support
- Run-as-a-service mode
- Symlink and junction support
- Ownership, group and DACL copying
- Fully asynchronous I/O
- Multi-core processing where required
- Optimized throughout for no run-time bloat
- Software update notifications
Bvckup 2 Release 79 changelog:
- Brand new copying module dubbed the "ultra copier"
- Support for retrying backup steps on transient failures
- Support for disabling tray alerts for missed backups
- Resolved an issue with losing UI config file on machine reboots
- Resolved two issues with handling of file symlinks
- Resolved an issue with "Another instance is running" popup
- Flushing is now Off by default for removable devices
- Delta copying thresholds are now 16 MB and 64 MB (see below)
- New progress bar for bulk and delta copying
- Ctrl-A now selects all text in edit boxes
- "More" links are now shown in blue
- Better handling of the OneDrive folder and offline files
- Pre/post-commands now launch .bat files via "cmd /c ..."
- Templating of new backup jobs is now simpler
The Ultra Copier
This is a big change, which was long due. The central piece of code that shuffles data from a file to its backup copy was completely redone. The previous version is still perfectly fine, but it is now several years old and we've learned a thing a two during that time.
In short, the ultra copier is:
- Faster in bulk copying and faster in processing of smaller files.
- Details are here - https://bvckup2.com/wip/19042018
- Faster in delta copying. Much faster. To the point that it can now shovel data between two NVMe drives with virtually no impact on the speed over regular bulk copy.
- Details are here - https://bvckup2.com/wip/25042018
- Copying is now resumable after cancellations and IO errors. In fact, you can now yank an USB drive from its port in the middle of a write and Bvckup 2 will automatically correct the file corruption that this may cause, while preserving as much of existing data as possible.
- Details are here - https://bvckup2.com/wip/30042018
Additionally, the ultra copier looks at the exact drive type (HDD, SDD, NVMe, etc.), USB connection details and a network protocol version to adapt its IO profile for the setup. [full release notes]
Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware