Pidgin is a chat program which lets you log into accounts on multiple chat networks simultaneously. This means that you can be chatting with friends on XMPP and sitting in an IRC channel at the same time.
Pidgin is compatible with the following chat networks out of the box: Jabber/XMPP, Bonjour, Gadu-Gadu, IRC, Novell GroupWise Messenger, Lotus Sametime, SILC, SIMPLE, and Zephyr. It can support many more with plugins.
Pidgin supports many features of these chat networks, such as file transfers, away messages, buddy icons, custom smilies, and typing notifications. Numerous plugins also extend Pidgin's functionality above and beyond the standard features.
Notice for Windows users: After releasing version 2.14.2 some users reached out to us about having issues with the Windows installer for 2.14.2. We are currently investigating the issue and expect to have a 2.14.3 release out soon which fixes it.
Pidgin 2.14.2 release notes:
A new minor version of Pidgin has been released, 2.14.2. Amongst other changes we can highlight the fix for two issues related to pasting content with or HTML tags.
The complete changelog for this release is the following:
- Fix a build issue when compiling with gstreamer but without voice and video. (Review 25)
- Enable cyrus-sasl by default. (Review 26)
- Fix an issue with opening link in Firefox. (Review 503) (PIDGIN-16589)
- Fix a regression from 2.14.0 where extra whitespace would be displayed when pasting
elements from HTML. (Review 504) (PIDGIN-17437)
- Require Python 3 for generating the D-Bus bindings. (Review 550)
- Fix an issue where pasting ’s and other HTML elements would eventually lead to a crash. (Review 514) (PIDGIN-17446)
Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware