VirtualBox is a powerful x86 and AMD64/Intel64 virtualization product for enterprise as well as home use. Targeted at server, desktop and embedded use, it is now the only professional-quality virtualization solution that is also Open Source Software.
Some of the features of VirtualBox are:
- Modularity. VirtualBox has an extremely modular design with well-defined internal programming interfaces and a client/server design. This makes it easy to control it from several interfaces at once: for example, you can start a virtual machine in a typical virtual machine GUI and then control that machine from the command line, or possibly remotely. VirtualBox also comes with a full Software Development Kit: even though it is Open Source Software, you don't have to hack the source to write a new interface for VirtualBox.
- Virtual machine descriptions in XML. The configuration settings of virtual machines are stored entirely in XML and are independent of the local machines. Virtual machine definitions can therefore easily be ported to other computers.
VirtualBox 6.1.34 changelog:
- VMM: Fix instruction emulation for "cmpxchg16b"
- GUI: Improved GUI behavior on macOS Big Sur and later when kernel extensions are not loaded
- EHCI: Addressed an issue with handling short packets (bug #20726)
- Storage: Fixed a potential hang during disk I/O when the host I/O cache is disabled (bug #20875)
- NVMe: Fixed loading saved state when nothing is attached to it (bug #20791)
- DevPcBios: Addressed an issue which resulted in rejecting the detected LCHS geometry when the head count was above 16
- virtio-scsi: Improvements
- E1000: Improve descriptor handling
- VBoxManage: Fixed handling of command line arguments with incomplete quotes (bug #20740)
- VBoxManage: Improved 'natnetwork list' output
- VBoxManage: NATNetwork: Provide an option (--ipv6-prefix) to set IPv6 prefix
- VBoxManage: NATNetwork: Provide an option (--ipv6-default) to advertise default IPv6 route (bug #20714)
- VBoxManage: Fix documentation of "usbdevsource add" (bug #20849)
- Networking: General improvements in IPv4 and IPv6 area (bug #20714)
- OVF Import: Allow users to specify a different storage controller and/or controller port for hard disks when importing a VM
- Unattended install: Improvements
- Shared Clipboard: Improved HTML clipboard handling for Windows host
- MacOS host: Fix handling of non-ASCII characters in the guest control functionality (bug #20792)
- Linux host and guest: Introduced initial support for kernel 5.17
- Solaris package: Fixes for API access from Python
- Solaris IPS package: Suppress dependency on libpython2.7.so.*
- Linux host and guest: Fixes for Linux kernel 5.14
- Linux Guest Additions: Fixed guest screen resize for older guests which are running libXrandr older than version 1.4
- Linux Guest Additions: Introduced initial support for RHEL 8.6 kernels (bug #20877)
- Windows guest: Make driver install smarter
- Solaris guest: Addressed an issue which prevented VBox GAs 6.1.30 or 6.1.32 from being removed in Solaris 10 guests (bug #20780)
- EFI: Fixed booting from FreeBSD ISO images (bug #19910)
Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware