Windows 8: Improved security and super fast boot

Shortly after Windows 7 launched, Microsoft began testing Microsoft Security Essentials for the PC to help keep users secure and safe from malware, spyware, Trojans and viruses.

Microsoft Windows is the world’s most popular operating system, but with the popularity comes a wave of spammers, hackers and virus makers to infect PCs and steal personal information.

Microsoft released Windows Live OneCare, an anti-virus program, in retail stores in the United States in 2006. The software was later discontinued in March 2010, but it already had a free successor, Microsoft Security Essentials.

Since MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) didn’t launch with Windows 7, it was offered as a separate free download for users to help secure their PCs from potential threats.

Windows 8 will further intertwine all of these great security features, but include more security for even the most basic users. Windows 8 will include an improved anti-spyware and anti-malware Windows Defender.

“Windows Drive-By Attack” will prompt users when a file or website they are browsing, even if the website isn’t blacklisted or picked up by the browser, that the site is trying to download and install malware, preventing the machine from being infected.

Microsoft will cross reference suspicious files with their database and alert users if the file they are attempting to download through Internet Explorer 10 is infected. To help make sure users are aware that the website or download is infected, Windows 8 will show a full screen green bar across the users screen that a potential threat has been detected.

Infected USB Protection:

Windows 8 will include a safe guard against infected USB sticks from launching attacks against the machine by warning the user that the stick is infected and preventing it from loading or executing any commands. Users will then have the opportunity to remove the device or clean it.

Windows also safe guards against USB attacks on startup, which will prompt a boot screen to either clean the device or remove it and continue with Windows 8. This is just one of the many new security measures that is being built into Windows.

Clean PC:

If users ever do get infected by malware, viruses or even corrupt files, with a few clicks of a mouse, or fingers, Windows can take all your documents, photos, and important files, lift them from Windows, perform a system files restore, and place all your files back down, but with an uninfected PC.

There is also the option to just clean Windows 8 completely and restart from a fresh install without having to use a disc. The second option will wipe all your files and clean your desktop in only a matter of minutes.

Super Fast Boot:

During the demonstration of Windows 8 on Tuesday, Microsoft showed off how Windows 8 will start up within a few seconds to a useable desktop. Windows 8 developer preview build 8102 boots up in under 13 seconds from a cold start to the start screen on the Samsung 700T tablet.

Not only does Windows 8 perform super fast boot times on all systems, but it also includes fast shut down times. Supported processors will be able to reduce their power consumption by roughly 80% and use the remaining 20% power to perform shut down tasks.

Report a problem with article
Next Article

Microsoft to detail Xbox LIVE integration with Windows 8 on Thursday

Previous Article

Preview: The first Windows 8 tablet by Samsung

30 Comments - Add comment