Audacity is a free, open source digital audio editor and recording application. Edit your sounds using cut, copy, and paste features (with unlimited undo functionality), mix tracks, or apply effects to your recordings. The program also has a built-in amplitude-envelope editor, a customizable spectrogram mode, and a frequency-analysis window for audio-analysis applications. Built-in effects include bass boost, wah wah, and noise removal, and the program also supports VST plug-in effects.
You can use Audacity to:
- Record live audio.
- Record computer playback on any Windows Vista or later machine.
- Convert tapes and records into digital recordings or CDs.
- Edit WAV, AIFF, FLAC, MP2, MP3 or Ogg Vorbis sound files.
- AC3, M4A/M4R (AAC), WMA and other formats supported using optional libraries.
- Cut, copy, splice or mix sounds together.
- Numerous effects including change the speed or pitch of a recording.
- Write your own plug-in effects with Nyquist.
- And more! See the complete list of features.
Audacity 3.0.3 key improvements:
- The Windows version of Audacity is now 64-bit (32-bit plug-ins will not work on 64-bit Audacity)
- We have improved the default spectrogram colors
- We now provide an official binary for Linux in the form of an AppImage
- Update checking: Audacity can now check to see if there is a newer version available
- Error reporting: allows users to send us the details of a serious error
- Multiple bugs fixed
- Full details of new features in the visual guide to New Features in 3.0.3
Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware