Media Player Classic - Home Cinema (MPC-HC) is a free and open-source video and audio player for Windows. MPC-HC is based on the original Guliverkli project and contains many additional features and bug fixes. MPC-HC isn’t flashy but it works with nearly any media format. MPC-HC uses DXVA technology to pass decoding operations to your modern video card, enhancing your viewing experience. And MPC-HC supports both physical and software DVDs with menus, chapter navigation, and subtitles.
This is an unofficial build. It is based on the latest source code of the official project, plus several additional fixes and improvements. And most importantly, it includes the very latest version of LAV Filters!
Overview of features
A lot of people seem to be unaware of some of the awesome features that have been added to MPC-HC in the past years. Here is a list of useful options and features that everyone should know about:
- Menu > View > Dark Theme
- When using dark theme it is also possible to change the height of the seekbar and size of the toolbar buttons.
- Options > Advanced
Video preview on the seekbar
- Options > Tweaks > Show preview on seek bar
Adjust playback speed
- Menu > Play > Playback rate
- The buttons in the player that control playback rate take a 2x step by default. This can be customized to smaller values (like 10%):
- Options > Playback > Speed step
- Adjusting playback speed works best with the internal audio renderer. This also has automatic pitch correction.
- Options > Playback > Output > Audio Renderer
MPC-HC can remember playback position, so you can resume from that point later
- Options > Player > History
- You can quickly seek through a video with Ctrl + Mouse Scrollwheel.
- You can jump to next/previous file in a folder by pressing PageUp/PageDown.
- You can perform automatic actions at end of file. For example to go to next file or close player.
- Options > Playback > After Playback (permanent setting)
- Menu > Play > After Playback (for current file only)
- A-B repeat - You can loop a segment of a video. Press [ and ] to set start and stop markers.
You can rotate/flip/mirror/stretch/zoom the video
- Menu > View > Pan&Scan
- This is also easily done with hotkeys (see below).
There are lots of keyboard hotkeys and mouse actions to control the player. They can be customized as well.
- Options > Player > Keys
- Tip: there is a search box above the table.
You can stream videos directly from Youtube and many other video websites
- Put youtube-dl.exe in the MPC-HC installation folder.
- Then you can open website URLs in the player: Menu > File > Open File/URL
- You can even download those videos: Menu > File > Save a copy
- Tip: to be able to download in best quality with youtube-dl, it is recommended to also put ffmpeg.exe in the MPC-HC folder.
- Several configuration options are found here: Options > Advanced
Play HDR video
- This requires using madVR or MPC Video Renderer.
- After installation these renderers can be selected here:
- Options > Playback > Output
Ability to search for and download subtitles, either automatically or manually (press D):
- Options > Subtitles > Misc
Besides all these (new) features, there have also been many bugfixes and internal improvements in the player in the past years that give better performance and stability. It also has updated internal codecs. Support was added for CUE sheets, WebVTT subtitles, etc.
Media Player Classic - Home Cinema 1.9.16 changelog:
- Updated LAV Filters to version 0.75.1-4-gfaff6
- Updated MediaInfo DLL to v21.09
- Added advanced option to specify location of Youtube-DL executable.
- Added support for yt-dlp.exe (fork of Youtube-DL).
- Added advanced option to display video fourcc and resolution in status bar.
- Added advanced option to display A-B repeat marker values in status bar.
- When saving a favorite you can now also store the AB-repeat markers
- Adjusting subtitle delay now also works with the external VSFilter/XySubFilter subtitle renderers.
- Enabled processing of play/pause command when no media is loaded, but playlist is not empty. This now also allows resuming playback by pressing spacebar or clicking on the video area.
- Clicking mouse middle button on the systray icon now toggles play/pause.
- When the global after playback event is set to "play next file in folder", the player will now close the current file when no next file is available. This allow the screensaver to activate.
- Added a second WASAPI based internal audio renderer. The existing internal renderer has been renamed to SaneAR (its original name). Don't ask what the difference is between the two. There is little difference in behavior and functionality.
- Fix for running DVB scan not working in stopped state.
- Several other small fixes.
Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware