Microsoft has a new Xbox OS update for Insiders in the Alpha Skip-Ahead Ring. The release with a mouthful version number XB_FLT_2208NI\22609.1502.2204250-2200 will be available for download at 2 p.m. PT on April 27, 2022. There are no significant feature changes or groundbreaking UI refinements. Instead, Microsoft seasoned the update with bug fixes and improvements across the operating system. Here is what's new.
- Fixed an issue where some users encounter graphical issues when opening the Guide while playing a game.
- Fixed an issue where Groups would sometimes fail to load in the Guide.
- Fixed an issue where the online status of a user may incorrectly show as being in a game.
- Various updates to properly reflect local languages across the console. Note: Users participating in Preview may see “odd” text across the console, for more information go here.
Like with Windows and Edge, testing the earliest updates for Xbox consoles is not for the faint of heart. These updates are unstable and often come with a hefty list of known issues. Here is the one for today's release:
- Some users have reported that audio stops working and drops out randomly while using the console. If you encounter the behavior, make sure and submit feedback before performing the workaround below.
- Workaround: Restart the console and audio should begin working normally again.
- We’ve received some reports that users’ controllers are randomly losing sync or disconnecting from the console. If you encounter this behavior please make sure and report this issue after reconnecting.
- Some users have reported that the Xbox button on the Razer Turret is not working to access the Guide.
- Workaround: Either the Windows key or even Windows key + X can be used instead of the Xbox button to access the Guide.
- We are investigating reports of the audio mixer being unable to adjust chat/game audio levels.
- We’ve received some reports that HDMI-CEC is not working correctly.
- Note: Ensure that your TV supports HDMI-CEC and is also enabled before filing feedback.
- Some users have reported that the icon for a disc-based title is not appearing on the dashboard.
My Games & Apps:
- Titles in collection may incorrectly appear with a “trial” tag.
- Some users have reported seeing a “flicker” when navigating/browsing the Store catalog.
- We’ve received reports that trailers are not playing on product pages.
- Some users have reported that the console is displaying at the incorrect resolution on boot. We are aware and investigating.
- Note: If you encounter this behavior, please ensure that you submit feedback via Report a Problem immediately. Please include the make/model of you TV/Display in the description.
- Workaround: Restarting the console via the Power menu (Holding down the Xbox button displays the power menu) should resolve the behavior. If not, ensure you are looking at the troubleshooting here, specifically the section about ensuring your TV firmware is up to date.
It is worth noting that unlike Windows and Edge, getting into the earliest "ring" of preview updates on Xbox is not an easy task. The Alpha Skip-Ahead channel is invite-only, and Microsoft grants access to active Xbox Insiders who have been testing preview updates in other channels. Major changes from the Alpha Skip-Ahead Ring usually land in the stable channel after a couple of months since the initial announcement.