Stardock has announced a major milestone in the development of Star Control: Origins following the release of Fleet Battles Beta 2 back in April, the company has now released Beta 3 of Fleet Battles, which is immediately available. Today’s release introduces new ships, weapons, maps, and the ability to scavenge wreckage from a battlefield to earn power-ups.
Here’s everything players can expect in today’s Fleet Battles Beta 3 release:
- New Ships
- Kzanti Intimidator: Nimble ship equipped with deadly proximity mines and a Repulsor that can knock back enemy ships to a safer distance.
- Arillou Observer: Familiar-looking grey-skinned aliens equipped with cloaking technology.
- New Weapons
- Cloak: Makes your ship invisible for a short amount of time.
- Octimator: Short range blaster that fires in eight directions all at once.
- Repulsor: Knocks back and damages nearby enemy ships; great for weak ships that want to keep their distance.
- Salvage: An ability that automatically picks up nearby wreckage instead of having to fly over it.
- Proximity Mines: Stationary traps that can be placed and automatically detonate if an enemy ship enters range.
- Scavenging / Power-Ups: Battlefields now contain power-ups players can pick up to receive various bonuses for the remainder of the fight.
- Yellow: Acceleration
- Green: Crew (Health)
- Red: Energy Regeneration
- Blue: Speed
- New maps
- Callum’s Deep: A mysterious dark star with negative mass serves as a focal point for this map.
- Maelstrom: Large map littered with a lot of planets and massive asteroids.
- Athara: A distant star system filled with exotic worlds.
- Performance Improvements
- Camera system update
- Improved multiplayer performance
- Updated fonts and UI polish
- AI vs. AI mode
- Press “TAB” to highlight ship
In addition to the launch of Fleet Battles Beta 3, Stardock announced the following:
We have also released the first set of our alien content packs which feature the Arilou, the Chenjesu, and the Mowlings. Each content pack contains concept art, lore, and new music that can be downloaded from the Stardock store and via Steam by anyone who pre-purchased Star Control: Origins.
Below you can view the gameplay trailer for Fleet Battles Beta 3:
For additional details, you can check out their new-and-improved blog. It's the best way to digest all of the news on Star Control: Origins’ development!
Star Control: Origins is available for pre-order from Stardock, GOG, or Steam for $34.99. For more information, visit www.starcontrol.com. Star Control: Origins Fleet Battles Beta 3 is accessible to anyone who pre-ordered the game on the official website or on Steam.
Star Control: Origins is scheduled to release on PC on September 20, 2018. Users can pre-order the game now at a discounted price and receive instant access to the Fleet Battles beta.
Disclaimer: Neowin's relationship to Stardock.