Shotcut is a free, open source, cross-platform video editor for Windows, Mac and Linux. Major features include support for a wide range of formats; no import required meaning native timeline editing; Blackmagic Design support for input and preview monitoring; and resolution support to 4k.
- Trimming on source clip player or timeline with ripple option
- Append, insert, overwrite, lift, and ripple delete editing on the timeline
- 3-point editing
- Hide, mute, and lock track controls
- Multitrack timeline with thumbnails and waveforms
- Unlimited undo and redo for playlist edits including a history view
- Create, play, edit, save, load, encode, and stream MLT XML projects (with auto-save)
- Save and load trimmed clip as MLT XML file
- Load and play complex MLT XML file as a clip
- Drag-n-drop files from file manager
- Scrubbing and transport control
- Video compositing across video tracks
- HTML5 (sans audio and video) as video source and filters
- 3-way (shadows, mids, highlights) color wheels for color correction and grading
- Eye dropper tool to pick neutral color for white balancing
- Fade in/out audio and fade video from and to black with easy-to-use fader controls on timeline
- Video wipe transitions:
- bar, barn door, box, clock (radial), diagonal, iris, matrix, and custom gradient image
- Track compositing/blending modes:
- Over, Add, Saturate, Multiply, Screen, Overlay, Darken, Dodge, Burn, Hard Light, Soft Light, Difference, Exclusion, HSL Hue, HSL Saturation, HSL Color, HSL Luminosity.
- Video Filters:
- Alpha Channel: Adjust, Alpha Channel: View, Blur, Brightness, Chroma Key: Advanced, Chroma Key: Simple, Contrast, Color Grading, Crop, Diffusion, Glow, Invert Colors, Key Spill: Advanced, Key Spill: Simple, Mirror, Old Film: Dust, Old Film: Grain, Old Film: Projector, Old Film: Scratches, Old Film: Technocolor, Opacity, Rotate, Rutt-Etra-Izer, Saturation, Sepia Tone, Sharpen, Size and Position, Stabilize, Text, Vignette, Wave, White Balance
- Speed effect for audio/video clips
- Blackmagic Design SDI and HDMI for input and preview monitoring
- Leap Motion for jog/shuttle control
- Webcam capture
- Audio capture to system audio card
- Capture (record) SDI, HDMI, webcam (V4L2), JACK audio, PulseAudio, IP stream, X11 screen, and Windows DirectShow devices
- Multi-core parallel image processing (when not using GPU and frame-dropping is disabled)
- DeckLink SDI keyer output
- OpenGL GPU-based image processing with 16-bit floating point linear per color component
Shotcut 18.06 changelog:
- Many bug fixes due to introduction of keyframes and change to memory management in v18.05.
- Added simple and advanced Keyframes to the Blur and Mask filters.
- Added seek buttons for simple Keyframes.
- Added ability to add and remove advanced Keyframes using double-click.
- Added ability to drag advanced Keyframes to adjust both value and position.
- (When dragging, hold down Ctrl key to adjust only value or Alt key to adjust only position.)
- Added double-click to toggle simple Keyframes controls (circles).
- Added double-click to toggle fade in/out controls (circles) on Timeline clip.
- Added many animated (keyframes) presets to the Size and Position filter.
- Added Reverse to clip Properties menu.
- Added Detach Audio to timeline clip's context menu.
- Added 5.1 surround support to the Copy Channel and Swap Channels audio filters.
- Added caution message to GPU Effects confirmation dialog.
- Added a Keyboard Shortcuts link to the Help menu.
- Changed presets file format to YAML.
- Changed Settings > GPU Processing to GPU Effects.
- Reduced memory usage on 32-bit builds (by constraining multi-threading).
- Upgraded FFmpeg to v4.0.
- Integrated AMD AMF hardware-accelerated H.264 and HEVC encoders on Windows (Set Export > Codec to h264_amf or hevc_amf. Requires recent Radeon or AMD APU.)
- Upgraded MLT to git master (v6.8.0 minimum required to build).
Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware