Thunderbird is a free, open-source, cross-platform application for managing email and news feeds. It is a local (rather than a web-based) email application that is powerful yet easy-to-use. Thunderbird is developed, tested, translated and supported by the folks at Mozilla Corporation and by a group of dedicated volunteers. Thunderbird gives you control and ownership over your email. There are lots of add-ons available for Thunderbird that enable you to extend and customize your email experience.
Thunderbird gives you IMAP/POP support, a built-in RSS reader, support for HTML mail, powerful quick search, saved search folders, advanced message filtering, message grouping, labels, return receipts, smart address book LDAP address completion, import tools, and the ability to manage multiple e-mail and newsgroup accounts.
What's new in Thunderbird 78.1.0:
- OpenPGP support is now feature complete. Improvements: new Key Wizard, online searching for OpenPGP keys, and more
The preferences tab now has a search field
- Dark background in message reader is now disabled
- Thunderbird startup was slow when using folder color customizations with many folders.
- Previously configured colors will not be migrated.
- Mail quota usage in status bar did not support terabyte folder sizes
- Changing Junk mail settings with keyboard toggled wrong setting
- Advanced IMAP server preferences not saved in Account Manager
- Address book migration updates and fixes
- Address book: Last Modified Date was not updated
- Dark mode improvements
- Various security fixes
- Mail header toolbar (Reply, Forward, Archive, Junk buttons) no longer configurable
- Fixed width font not working in compose window
- Thunderbird version 78.1.0 is only offered as direct download from thunderbird.net and not as an upgrade from Thunderbird version 68 or earlier. A future release will provide updates from earlier versions. Automatic updates are available for users already running version 78.0 or higher.
- Add-on support: As of version 78.0, Thunderbird only supports MailExtensions. Your favorite add-ons may not have been updated for compatibility.
- At this time, users of the Enigmail Add-on should not update to Thunderbird 78.
- OpenPGP in Thunderbird 78.1.0 has reached feature complete state, but it's still disabled by default, to allow more time for testing, correctness, and localization. See the wiki for how to enable and help with testing.
Download: Thunderbird 78.1.0 for Windows (EN/US) | 64-bit | ~35.0 MB (Open Source)
Download: Thunderbird 78.1.0 for Linux (EN/US) | 55.5 MB
Download: Thunderbird 78.1.0 for Mac OS (EN/US) | 66.4 MB
Download: Thunderbird 78.1.0 in other languages
View: Thunderbird Website | Release Notes | Screenshot
Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware