Wireshark is a network packet analyzer. A network packet analyzer will try to capture network packets and tries to display that packet data as detailed as possible. You could think of a network packet analyzer as a measuring device used to examine what's going on inside a network cable, just like a voltmeter is used by an electrician to examine what's going on inside an electric cable (but at a higher level, of course). In the past, such tools were either very expensive, proprietary, or both. However, with the advent of Wireshark, all that has changed. Wireshark is perhaps one of the best open source packet analyzers available today.
- Deep inspection of hundreds of protocols, with more being added all the time
- Live capture and offline analysis
- Standard three-pane packet browser
- Multi-platform: Runs on Windows, Linux, OS X, Solaris, FreeBSD, NetBSD, and many others
- Captured network data can be browsed via a GUI, or via the TTY-mode TShark utility
- The most powerful display filters in the industry
- Rich VoIP analysis
- Read/write many different capture file formats
- Capture files compressed with gzip can be decompressed on the fly
- Live data can be read from Ethernet, IEEE 802.11, PPP/HDLC, ATM, Bluetooth, USB, Token Ring, Frame Relay, FDDI, and others (depending on your platfrom)
- Decryption support for many protocols, including IPsec, ISAKMP, Kerberos, SNMPv3, SSL/TLS, WEP, and WPA/WPA2
- Coloring rules can be applied to the packet list for quick, intuitive analysis
- Output can be exported to XML, PostScript®, CSV, or plain text
What’s new in Wireshark 3.0.6:
- On macOS, Wireshark can now be installed by dropping Wireshark.app onto the Applications folder.
- The macOS installer now ships with Qt 5.12.5. It previously shipped with Qt 5.12.3.
- macOS installer uses wrong user ID. Bug 6991.
- Using macosx-setup seems to prevent installing pre-built binary. Bug 11399.
- macOS installer package is configured to disallow downgrades. Bug 12593.
- extcap: Several issues when capturing from multiple extcap interfaces. Bug 13653.
- Expert Infos Incorrectly Displays Info Column instead of comment. Bug 15516.
- Wireshark does not support USB packets with size greater than 256 KiB. Bug 15985.
- IS-IS: add support for decoding TE TLV Type 138 as per RFC 5307. Bug 16012.
- NET-SNMP EngineID Length handling Warning. Bug 16051.
- TLS decryption is very slow on Windows when using a large PMS file compared to Linux/macOS. Bug 16059.
- wireshark-3.0.5/epan/dissectors/packet-nas_5gs.c:2459: bad test ?. Bug 16075.
- ERSPAN Type III over GRE without sequence number not decoded correctly. Bug 16089.
- Windows dumpcap -v does not display capture library info. Bug 16108.
- [Regression] FT_CHAR fields not supported in Lua API. Bug 16129.
Updated Protocol Support
- AgentX, BT L2CAP, ERSPAN, GRE, IPv4, IS-IS, NAS 5GS, OpcUa, SNMP, and SRT
Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware