Wireshark is a network packet analyzer. A network packet analyzer will try to capture network packets and tries to display that packet data as detailed as possible. You could think of a network packet analyzer as a measuring device used to examine what's going on inside a network cable, just like a voltmeter is used by an electrician to examine what's going on inside an electric cable (but at a higher level, of course). In the past, such tools were either very expensive, proprietary, or both. However, with the advent of Wireshark, all that has changed. Wireshark is perhaps one of the best open source packet analyzers available today.
- Deep inspection of hundreds of protocols, with more being added all the time
- Live capture and offline analysis
- Standard three-pane packet browser
- Multi-platform: Runs on Windows, Linux, OS X, Solaris, FreeBSD, NetBSD, and many others
- Captured network data can be browsed via a GUI, or via the TTY-mode TShark utility
- The most powerful display filters in the industry
- Rich VoIP analysis
- Read/write many different capture file formats
- Capture files compressed with gzip can be decompressed on the fly
- Live data can be read from Ethernet, IEEE 802.11, PPP/HDLC, ATM, Bluetooth, USB, Token Ring, Frame Relay, FDDI, and others (depending on your platfrom)
- Decryption support for many protocols, including IPsec, ISAKMP, Kerberos, SNMPv3, SSL/TLS, WEP, and WPA/WPA2
- Coloring rules can be applied to the packet list for quick, intuitive analysis
- Output can be exported to XML, PostScript®, CSV, or plain text
What’s new in Wireshark 3.0.7:
The Windows and macOS installers now ship with Qt 5.12.6. They previously shipped with Qt 5.12.5.
The following vulnerabilities have been fixed:
- wnpa-sec-2019-22 CMS dissector crash. Bug 15961. CVE-2019-19553.
The following bugs have been fixed:
- ws_pipe_wait_for_pipe() can wait on closed handles. Bug 15696.
- Support for 11ax in PEEKREMOTE. Bug 15740.
- The temporary file … could not be opened: Invalid argument. Bug 15751.
- Reassembling of the two TLS records is not working correctly. Bug 16109.
- Display Filter Area: Dropdown Missing pkt_comment and tcp.options.sack_perm (likely others). Bug 16130.
- Display Filter autocompletion should be disabled. Bug 16132.
- BGP Linkstate IP Reachability information is incorrect. Bug 16144.
- NGAP: ExpectedUEActivityBehaviour decode error. Bug 16145.
- HomePlug AV dissector: MMTYPE and FMI fields are dissected incorrectly. Bug 16158.
- JPEG files cannot be saved on Windows with french language. Bug 16165.
- X11 --display interpreted as --display-filter which maps to -Y option. Bug 16167.
- "Create new file automatically after" not working with extcap. Bug 16178.
- Encrypted TLS alerts sometimes listed as decrypted. Bug 16180.
- The "Remove Wireshark from the system path" package has "Add Wireshark to the system PATH" as its title. Bug 16200.
- tshark -T ek -x causes get_field_data: code should not be reached. Bug 16218.
- Crash on Go → Next/Previous Packet in Conversation when no packet is selected. Bug 16228.
Updated protocol support:
- BGP, HomePlug AV, IEEE 802.11, and TLS
Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware