Wireshark is a network packet analyzer. A network packet analyzer will try to capture network packets and tries to display that packet data as detailed as possible. You could think of a network packet analyzer as a measuring device used to examine what's going on inside a network cable, just like a voltmeter is used by an electrician to examine what's going on inside an electric cable (but at a higher level, of course). In the past, such tools were either very expensive, proprietary, or both. However, with the advent of Wireshark, all that has changed. Wireshark is perhaps one of the best open source packet analyzers available today.
- Deep inspection of hundreds of protocols, with more being added all the time
- Live capture and offline analysis
- Standard three-pane packet browser
- Multi-platform: Runs on Windows, Linux, OS X, Solaris, FreeBSD, NetBSD, and many others
- Captured network data can be browsed via a GUI, or via the TTY-mode TShark utility
- The most powerful display filters in the industry
- Rich VoIP analysis
- Read/write many different capture file formats
- Capture files compressed with gzip can be decompressed on the fly
- Live data can be read from Ethernet, IEEE 802.11, PPP/HDLC, ATM, Bluetooth, USB, Token Ring, Frame Relay, FDDI, and others (depending on your platfrom)
- Decryption support for many protocols, including IPsec, ISAKMP, Kerberos, SNMPv3, SSL/TLS, WEP, and WPA/WPA2
- Coloring rules can be applied to the packet list for quick, intuitive analysis
- Output can be exported to XML, PostScript®, CSV, or plain text
Wireshark 3.2.1 changelog:
The following vulnerabilities have been fixed
- wnpa-sec-2020-01 WASSP dissector crash. Bug 16324. CVE-2020-7044.
The following bugs have been fixed
- Incorrect parsing of USB CDC packets.
- Wireshark fails to create directory if parent directory does not yet exist.
- Buildbot crash output: randpkt-2019-11-30-22633.pcap.
- Closing Flow Graph closes (crashes) main GUI window.
- Wireshark interprets websocket frames after HTTP handshake in a wrong way.
- A-bis/OML: IPA Destination IP Address attribute contains inverted value (endianness).
- wiretap/log3gpp.c: 2 * leap before looking ?.
- Opening shell terminal prints Wireshark: Permission denied.
- h264: SPS frame_crop_right_offset shown in UI as frame_crop_left_offset.
- BGP: update of "Sub-TLV Length" by draft-ietf-idr-tunnel-encaps.
- SPNEGO+GSS-API+Kerberos+ap-options dissection produces "Unknown Bit(s)" expert message..
- USB Audio feature unit descriptor is incorrectly dissected.
- Compiling the .y files fails with Berkeley YACC.
- PDB files in Windows installer.
- NAS-5GS 5GS network feature support lacks MCSI, EMCN3 two fields (octet 4).
- Option to change “Packet List” columns header right click pop-up menu behavior.
- DLT: Dissector does not parse multiple DLT messages in single UDP packet.
- ISAKMP Dissection: Enhance Source id and Destination ID field of GDOI SA TEK payload for non IP ID type.
- DOIP: Typo in "identifcation request messages".
- Toolbar "?" help button - no text/help displayed.
Updated Protocol Support
- 802.11 Radiotap, ASN.1 BER, BGP, DLT, DOIP, GSM A RR, GSM A-bis/OML, H264, HTTP, IEC 60870-5-104, IEEE 802.11, IPv4, ISAKMP, NAS 5GS, rtnetlink, SIP, TIPC, USB Audio, USB CDC, and WASSP
Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware