Avidemux is a free video editor designed for simple cutting, filtering and encoding tasks. It supports many file types, including AVI, DVD compatible MPEG files, MP4 and ASF, using a variety of codecs. Tasks can be automated using projects, job queue and powerful scripting capabilities. Avidemux is available for Linux, BSD, Mac OS X and Microsoft Windows under the GNU GPL license.
AviDemux 2.7.8 new features:
- Many new video filters added by courtesy of https://github.com/szlldm
- A dedicated MOV muxer is now available, replacing silent fallback to MOV muxing mode within the MP4 muxer.
- A subset of color info relevant for HDR support is retained in copy mode when both input and output video are stored in Matroska / WebM containers. Settings to add or override color info have been added to MKV and WebM muxers.
- The indexer in the MPEG-TS demuxer now detects resolution changes in MPEG-2 and H.264 streams which are entirely unsupported and suggests aborting indexing. If the user chooses to continue, it records file offsets of all resolution changes to the log. This allows advanced users to split the file at these offsets using other tools like head and tail into chunks which can be processed with Avidemux.
- YUV varieties of the lossless Ut Video codec are supported now for decoding and encoding via bundled FFmpeg libraries.
- Uncompressed 24-bit audio is now supported for a subset of file formats.
- Limited support for 7.1 channel layout.
- Decode and stream copy support for XLL substream in DTS audio tracks.
- Audio properties are now updated on resuming playback. This allows to start saving after an audio format change. When audio format changes during playback, the FFmpeg-based audio decoder will output silence and keep format rather than producing garbage.
- An option to keep the identity of markers A and B instead of swapping them automatically has been added to Preferences.
- The keyboard shortcut for "Delete" action has been made customizable with alternative keyboard shortcuts enabled.
- Multi-threaded video decoding is now available for the bundled FFmpeg.
- On powerful multi-core CPUs, this can drastically improve decoding performance. A maximum of 8 threads can be created, but a conservative custom upper limit of 4 is recommended. Values above 8 cause decoding failures. Multi-threaded decoding and HW accelerated decoding are mutually exclusive, changes require application restart to have effect.
- The maximum supported resolution has been increased to 8192x8192
- The bundled FFmpeg has been updated to the 4.2.4 release.
- Non-standard display aspect ratios can be configured in MP4 muxer by specifying display width.
- MP4 muxer accepts now MPEG-1 and MPEG-2.
- The configuration dialog of the x265 video encoder plugin enjoyed massive cleanup and refactoring by https://github.com/xyzzy42, more Adaptive Quatization Variance methods have been added.
- Python interface has been substantially extended, includes now methods to query segment properties, the number and filenames of loaded videos, PTS of keyframes, methods to seek to time with preview updated, to open file dialogs filtered by extension and a built-in method to split filename extension from a given path.
- Scripting shell now supports unicode characters.
- On macOS, files can be loaded via Finder context menu or by dropping them onto Avidemux icon in the dock.
- On Linux, Jobs GUI and the CLI executable can be launched from AppImage by creating a symlink with _jobs or _cli in filename respectively and running the AppImage via this symlink.
- Rate control was broken in some video encoders, especially in VP9 and in NVENC-based encoders, fixed now.
- Multiple issues in cut point checks for H.264 and HEVC streams in copy mode, leading to incorrect check results, were identified and resolved.
- The first two frames of external AC3 or EAC3 audio tracks are not dropped anymore. This regression from enhanced protection against false positives, added 3 years ago, has been finally identified and fixed.
- Indexing of MPEG-TS files with HEVC video was broken when video stream lacked access unit delimiters. The issue was identified and fixed right after 2.7.7 had been tagged as released and is the reason why version 2.7.7 was superseded by 2.7.8.
- VU meter was grossly ahead of audio output on Windows, now it is just a tiny little bit ahead.
- Numerous other fixes and overall polish.
Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware