MakeMKV is a format converter, otherwise called "transcoder". It converts the video clips from proprietary (and usually encrypted) disc into a set of MKV files, preserving most information but not changing it in any way. The MKV format can store multiple video/audio tracks with all meta-information and preserve chapters.
There are many players that can play MKV files nearly on all platforms, and there are tools to convert MKV files to many formats, including DVD and Blu-ray discs.
Additionally MakeMKV can instantly stream decrypted video without intermediate conversion to wide range of players, so you may watch Blu-ray and DVD discs with your favorite player on your favorite OS or on your favorite device.
- Reads DVD and Blu-ray discs
- Reads Blu-ray discs protected with latest versions of AACS and BD+
- Preserves all video and audio tracks, including HD audio
- Preserves chapters information
- Preserves all meta-information (track language, audio type)
- Fast conversion - converts as fast as your drive can read data.
- No additional software is required for conversion or decryption.
- Available for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux
- Functionality to open DVD discs is free and will always stay free.
- All features (including Blu-ray decryption and processing) are free during BETA.
MakeMKV 1.16.4 Beta changelog:
Much better support for discs with Java playlist obfuscation
Any Java runtime version is now supported, including Java 16
Mac OS: Support for Mac OS 12.0 Monterey
Some small improvements
- Program failed to recognize some AAC streams with exotic channel encoding
- Picture dimensions were displayed incorrectly for some exotic HEVC streams
- Conversion of some DVDs could fail at the very end of title
Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware