Shotcut is a free, open source, cross-platform video editor for Windows, Mac and Linux. Major features include support for a wide range of formats; no import required meaning native timeline editing; Blackmagic Design support for input and preview monitoring; and resolution support to 4k.
- Trimming on source clip player or timeline with ripple option
- Append, insert, overwrite, lift, and ripple delete editing on the timeline
- 3-point editing
- Hide, mute, and lock track controls
- Multitrack timeline with thumbnails and waveforms
- Unlimited undo and redo for playlist edits including a history view
- Create, play, edit, save, load, encode, and stream MLT XML projects (with auto-save)
- Save and load trimmed clip as MLT XML file
- Load and play complex MLT XML file as a clip
- Drag-n-drop files from file manager
- Scrubbing and transport control
- Video compositing across video tracks
- HTML5 (sans audio and video) as video source and filters
- 3-way (shadows, mids, highlights) color wheels for color correction and grading
- Eye dropper tool to pick neutral color for white balancing
- Fade in/out audio and fade video from and to black with easy-to-use fader controls on timeline
- Video wipe transitions:
- bar, barn door, box, clock (radial), diagonal, iris, matrix, and custom gradient image
- Track compositing/blending modes:
- Over, Add, Saturate, Multiply, Screen, Overlay, Darken, Dodge, Burn, Hard Light, Soft Light, Difference, Exclusion, HSL Hue, HSL Saturation, HSL Color, HSL Luminosity.
- Video Filters:
- Alpha Channel: Adjust, Alpha Channel: View, Blur, Brightness, Chroma Key: Advanced, Chroma Key: Simple, Contrast, Color Grading, Crop, Diffusion, Glow, Invert Colors, Key Spill: Advanced, Key Spill: Simple, Mirror, Old Film: Dust, Old Film: Grain, Old Film: Projector, Old Film: Scratches, Old Film: Technocolor, Opacity, Rotate, Rutt-Etra-Izer, Saturation, Sepia Tone, Sharpen, Size and Position, Stabilize, Text, Vignette, Wave, White Balance
- Speed effect for audio/video clips
- Blackmagic Design SDI and HDMI for input and preview monitoring
- Leap Motion for jog/shuttle control
- Webcam capture
- Audio capture to system audio card
- Capture (record) SDI, HDMI, webcam (V4L2), JACK audio, PulseAudio, IP stream, X11 screen, and Windows DirectShow devices
- Multi-core parallel image processing (when not using GPU and frame-dropping is disabled)
- DeckLink SDI keyer output
- OpenGL GPU-based image processing with 16-bit floating point linear per color component
Shotcut 22.09.23 changelog:
- Added limited support for reading WebP Animation.
- Show audio-clips without album art as a checkboard for transparent instead of white.
- Added the GPS Graphic video filter (see its presets).
- Added the gopro2gpx utility to let you export a GPX file from a GoPro video using Properties > menu > Export GPX. This saves the .gpx in the same folder as the video file with the same name but different exension.
- Added Fisheye video filter (see its presets).
- Added snapping to the playhead to Keyframes.
Added Help > Actions and Shortcuts:
- Provides a unified action search and shortcut editor.
- Replaces the old Keyboard Shortcuts... item in the Help menu and takes its keyboard shortcut ?.
- / is also a default shortcut, and either shortcut can be changed.
- Searches both action name and shortcut.
- Press Return/Enter within search to move focus to the list of actions.
- Press Return/Enter on a selected action to trigger it and close the dialog.
- Shift, Ctrl, or Alt + Return/Enter on a selected action to trigger it and NOT close the dialog.
- Double-click an action to trigger it but NOT close the dialog.
- The dialog is not modal so you can leave it open and to the side while working.
- Press Esc when the dialog has focus to close it.
- Press F2 when an action is selected to edit its first shortcut.
- Single-click a selected shortcut to enter edit mouse using the mouse. This means you typically need two single clicks: one to select, the second to enter into edit mode.
- You can Tab out of edit mode to navigate focus to the apply button and press Space to trigger the apply. It is intentional that you cannot assign Tab as a keyboard shortcut to an action.
- There are some keyboard buttons such as J/K/L that are reserved and cannot be used in a shortcut. You will see an error message when you try to apply it.
- You can define up to 2 shortcuts per action! You may want to leave the default as well as add your preferred shortcut.
A big portion of the UI had to be rewritten to support this. As a result:
- All panel (hamburger) menus are consistently on the left/first.
- Panel-specific Options sub-menus were moved to Settings main menu.
- The keyboard shortcut to switch the player between Source and Project is now P.
- Various hidden or under-exposed actions now have a menu item somewhere including a new Player main menu.
- Many translations will be lost.
- The default shortcuts to change the current track now require Ctrl+Alt in addition to cursor up and down.
Improved support for custom video transitions:
- There is a folder now in the App Data Directory named transitions where you can store these.
- All files in the transitions folder are listed in transition Properties, the Mask: From File video filter, and the Slideshow Generator dialog.
- Added a favorite button in transition Properties and Mask: From File that copies your chosen custom file to the transitions folder.
- Added a quick preview to transition properties.
- Added the ability to drag-scroll/pan using the middle mouse button (press mouse wheel) to Timeline, Keyframes, and the player when zoomed in.
Improved the Filters picker:
- Added translatable keywords to facilitate search. For example, "transform" includes Size, Position & Rotate.
- Added the English filter name in an untranslatable manner to the keywords so people using a translation can more more easily find things based on proliferic English advice.
- Added support for a small animated icon.
Other changes / fixes:
- Added the alpha Operation, Reverse, and Invert parameters to the Mask: Draw video filter.
- Added Settings > Reset... to reset all settings including hidden ones.
- Fixed Move Track Up or Move Track Down breaks the order of blending/compositing.
- Fixed opening files with a % in their path or name.
- Fixed sometimes a date does not appear in Playlist.
- Fixed Old Film: Scratches video filter not working (broke in version 22.04).
- Fixed Stabilize video filter uses invalid analysis data after pasted.
- Fixed File > Open MLT XML as Clip... changes the current Video Mode.
- Fixed audio artifacts introduced after splitting a clip that has been converted or reversed using the better/large/DNxHR option.
- Fixed Text: Rich filter's toolbar may not reflect the current text color.
- Upgraded FFmpeg to v5.1.0
- Upgraded dav1d AV1 decoder v1.0
- Upgraded AOM AV1 encoder to v3.4.0
- Upgraded libvpx VP8/9 encoder to v1.12.0
- Upgraded VMAF to v2.3.1
- Upgraded Glaxnimate to v0.5.1
Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware