Shotcut is a free, open source, cross-platform video editor for Windows, Mac and Linux. Major features include support for a wide range of formats; no import required meaning native timeline editing; Blackmagic Design support for input and preview monitoring; and resolution support to 4k.
- Trimming on source clip player or timeline with ripple option
- Append, insert, overwrite, lift, and ripple delete editing on the timeline
- 3-point editing
- Hide, mute, and lock track controls
- Multitrack timeline with thumbnails and waveforms
- Unlimited undo and redo for playlist edits including a history view
- Create, play, edit, save, load, encode, and stream MLT XML projects (with auto-save)
- Save and load trimmed clip as MLT XML file
- Load and play complex MLT XML file as a clip
- Drag-n-drop files from file manager
- Scrubbing and transport control
- Video compositing across video tracks
- HTML5 (sans audio and video) as video source and filters
- 3-way (shadows, mids, highlights) color wheels for color correction and grading
- Eye dropper tool to pick neutral color for white balancing
- Fade in/out audio and fade video from and to black with easy-to-use fader controls on timeline
- Video wipe transitions:
- bar, barn door, box, clock (radial), diagonal, iris, matrix, and custom gradient image
- Track compositing/blending modes:
- Over, Add, Saturate, Multiply, Screen, Overlay, Darken, Dodge, Burn, Hard Light, Soft Light, Difference, Exclusion, HSL Hue, HSL Saturation, HSL Color, HSL Luminosity.
- Video Filters:
- Alpha Channel: Adjust, Alpha Channel: View, Blur, Brightness, Chroma Key: Advanced, Chroma Key: Simple, Contrast, Color Grading, Crop, Diffusion, Glow, Invert Colors, Key Spill: Advanced, Key Spill: Simple, Mirror, Old Film: Dust, Old Film: Grain, Old Film: Projector, Old Film: Scratches, Old Film: Technocolor, Opacity, Rotate, Rutt-Etra-Izer, Saturation, Sepia Tone, Sharpen, Size and Position, Stabilize, Text, Vignette, Wave, White Balance
- Speed effect for audio/video clips
- Blackmagic Design SDI and HDMI for input and preview monitoring
- Leap Motion for jog/shuttle control
- Webcam capture
- Audio capture to system audio card
- Capture (record) SDI, HDMI, webcam (V4L2), JACK audio, PulseAudio, IP stream, X11 screen, and Windows DirectShow devices
- Multi-core parallel image processing (when not using GPU and frame-dropping is disabled)
- DeckLink SDI keyer output
- OpenGL GPU-based image processing with 16-bit floating point linear per color component
Shotcut 22.10.22 changelog:
This is primarily a bug fix release.
New Bugs in v22.09.23
- Fixed translations not updated.
- Fixed crash in Size, Position & Rotate filter when size approaches zero, for example when editing a size numeric field.
- Fixed bitrate in some Export presets such as VP8, VP9, D10, and XDCAM.
- Fixed Timeline > Lift and Delete not working with no clip selected.
- Fixed Transition > Properties resets the Invert and Softness options.
- Fixed an incorrect timecode appears at 2 minutes in 24 or 23.98 fps.
- Fixed Timeline > Select Clip Above and Select Clip Below not working with no clip selected.
- Fixed incorrect resulting aspect ratio when changing Export > Video > Resolution and pixel aspect ratio is not square.
- Fixed Properties > Measure Video Quality on Windows.
- Fixed Fade Out Video filter not working after trimming the in point.
- Fixed updating an animation Properties > Duration after changed in Glaxnimate.
- Fixed ripple trim on the in point of a clip that is at the very beginning (00:00:00:00) of the Timeline.
- Fixed adjusting keyframes of the second clip when a trimming the in point of a transition.
- Fixed Keyframes UI when using Timeline > Trim Clip In menu-item/action/shortcut (not interactive trim).
- Fixed opening a MLT XML file with a % in its path or name.
- Fixed keyframes after an undo and redo upon making a transition while trimming the in point of a clip.
Improvements and Changes
- Finished the menu technology updates (marker context, rich text editor) that were mostly done in v22.09.23.
- Added icons for the 360 video filters.
- Performance improvement in Timeline for when there is opaque clip on a track above another clip.
- Disallow allow adding Filters to a device or live input since this is not working and could interfere with integrity of capture.
- Increased the maximum values in the Mask: Simple Shape > Horizontal and Vertical video filter.
- Changing Timeline > Zoom no longer pauses playback.
Changes in v22.10.25:
- This is a hot fix for release 22.10 to reverse "Performance improvement in Timeline for when there is opaque clip on a track above another clip," which caused a change in behavior considered a bug. See the 22.10.22 release for notes about the 22.10 release in general.
Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware