VirtualBox is a powerful x86 and AMD64/Intel64 virtualization product for enterprise as well as home use. Targeted at server, desktop and embedded use, it is now the only professional-quality virtualization solution that is also Open Source Software.
Some of the features of VirtualBox are:
- Modularity. VirtualBox has an extremely modular design with well-defined internal programming interfaces and a client/server design. This makes it easy to control it from several interfaces at once: for example, you can start a virtual machine in a typical virtual machine GUI and then control that machine from the command line, or possibly remotely. VirtualBox also comes with a full Software Development Kit: even though it is Open Source Software, you don't have to hack the source to write a new interface for VirtualBox.
- Virtual machine descriptions in XML. The configuration settings of virtual machines are stored entirely in XML and are independent of the local machines. Virtual machine definitions can therefore easily be ported to other computers.
VirtualBox 6.0.8 is a maintenance release. The following items were fixed and/or added:
- Core: fix saved state resume failures (bugs #18265 and #18331)
- User interface: show full file location in New Medium window.
- User interface: fix mouse click pass-through problems in multi-screen virtual machines (6.0.6 regression, bug #18567)
- Graphics: fixed a crash when powering off a VM without graphics controller (bug #18570)
- API: partial fix for dealing with VM config conflicting with other VMs related to medium UUIDs, now correctly flags VM as inaccessible (bug #17908)
- Windows hosts: Support paths longer than 4096 characters on in shared folders
- Linux hosts: fix kernel module build breakage in non-default build set-ups (bug #18620, thank you Ambroz Bizjak)
- Linux hosts: fix kernel module build breakage in debug build set-ups (bug #18621, thank you Ambroz Bizjak)
- Windows guests: notice file size increases in shared folders which were missed in certain cases
- Linux guests: make shared folders work with Linux 3.16.35
- Linux guests: fix incorrectly read-only shared folders (bug #18345)
VirtualBox 6.0.8 Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack:
Support for USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 devices, VirtualBox RDP, disk encryption, NVMe and PXE boot for Intel cards. See this chapter from the User Manual for an introduction to this Extension Pack. The Extension Pack binaries are released under the VirtualBox Personal Use and Evaluation License (PUEL). Please install the same version extension pack as your installed version of VirtualBox.
Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware