VirtualBox is a powerful x86 and AMD64/Intel64 virtualization product for enterprise as well as home use. Targeted at server, desktop and embedded use, it is now the only professional-quality virtualization solution that is also Open Source Software.
Some of the features of VirtualBox are:
- Modularity. VirtualBox has an extremely modular design with well-defined internal programming interfaces and a client/server design. This makes it easy to control it from several interfaces at once: for example, you can start a virtual machine in a typical virtual machine GUI and then control that machine from the command line, or possibly remotely. VirtualBox also comes with a full Software Development Kit: even though it is Open Source Software, you don't have to hack the source to write a new interface for VirtualBox.
- Virtual machine descriptions in XML. The configuration settings of virtual machines are stored entirely in XML and are independent of the local machines. Virtual machine definitions can therefore easily be ported to other computers.
VirtualBox 6.1.24 changelog:
- Storage: Fixed starting a VM if a device is attached to a VirtIO SCSI port higher than 30 (bug #20213)
- Storage: Improvement to DVD medium change signaling
- Serial: Fixed a the guest missing interrupts under certain circumstances (6.0 regression, bug #18668)
- Audio: Multiple fixes and enhancements
- Network: Fixed connectivity issue with virtio-net after resuming VM with disconnected link
- Network: Fixed UDP GSO fragmentation issue with missing 8 bytes of payload at the end of the first fragment
- API: Fixed VM configuration for recent Windows Server versions
- Extension Pack: Fixed issues with USB webcam pass-through on Linux
- Host and guest driver: Fix small memory leak (bug #20280)
- Linux host and guest: Support kernel version 5.13 (bug #20456)
- Linux host and guest: Introduce support for SUSE SLES/SLED 15 SP3 kernels (bug #20396)
- Linux host: Installer will not attempt to build kernel modules if system already has them installed and modules versions match current version
- Windows host: Fix DLL signature validation to work better with an invalid certificate
- Guest Additions: Fixed crash on using shared clipboard (bug #19165)
- Linux Guest Additions: Introduce support for Ubuntu specific kernels (bug #20325)
- Solaris guest: Increased default memory and disk sizes
- EFI: Support network booting with the E1000 network controller emulation
- EFI: Stability improvements (bug #20090)
Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware