Play torrents instantly without downloading
WebTorrent is a streaming torrent client that lets you stream torrents, available for Linux, Windows and Mac. You don't have to wait for it to finish downloading. WebTorrent Desktop is fast, free, non-commercial & open source. Why? Imagine a peer-to-peer YouTube where viewers help to host the site's content. By making BitTorrent easier to use, we can get more people to participate and take the first steps to re-decentralizing the Internet.
WebTorrent Desktop connects to both BitTorrent and WebTorrent peers. It can talk to peers running Transmission or uTorrent, and it can also talk to web pages like instant.io. WebTorrent Desktop can also stream torrents to AirPlay, Chromecast, and DLNA.
- Lightweight, fast torrent app
- Beautiful user experience
- Free, non-commercial, ad-free, and open source
- Instantly stream video and audio
- WebTorrent fetches file pieces from the network on demand for instant playback.
- Even when the file isn't fully downloaded, seeking still works.
- (Seeking just reprioritizes which pieces are fetched from the network.)
- Stream videos to AirPlay, Chromecast, and DLNA
- Based on the most popular and comprehensive torrent package in Node.js, webtorrent
- Full-featured, but bloat free
- Opens magnet links and .torrent files
- Drag-and-drop makes adding or creating torrents easy
- Discovers peers via tracker servers, DHT (Distributed Hash Table), and peer exchange
- Supports the WebTorrent protocol for connecting to WebRTC peers (i.e. web browsers)
WebTorrent Desktop 0.18.0 changes:
- Add a new "Transfers" menu for pausing or resuming all torrents (#1027)
- Update Electron to 1.4.15
- Windows 32-bit: App can use 4GB of memory instead of just 2GB
- Fix "Portable App" writing crash reports to "%APPDATA%\Temp" (Windows)
- Updated WebTorrent engine to 0.98.5
- Fix issue where http web seeds would sometimes stall
- Don't send 'completed' event to tracker again if torrent is already complete
- Add more peer ID entropy
- Set user-agent header for tracker http requests
- Fix paste shortcut in tracker list on Create Torrent page (#1112)
- Auto-focus the 'OK' button in modal dialogs (#1058)
- Fix formatting issue in the speed stats on the Player page (#1039)