Krita Desktop is a free an open source painting application. Krita is the full-featured free digital painting studio for artists who want to create professional work from start to end. Krita is used by comic book artists, illustrators, concept artists, matte and texture painters and in the digital VFX industry. Krita has been in development for over 10 years and has had an explosion in growth recently. It offers many common and innovative features to help the amateur and professional alike.
Krita has a user-friendly interface. The dockers and panels can be moved and customized for your specific workflow. Once you have your setup, you can save it as your own workspace. You can also create your own shortcuts for commonly used tools.
In addition to painting, Krita comes with vector, filter, group, and file layers. Combine, order, and flatten layers to help your artwork stay organized. There are also three different views on how to see the layers.
Krita supports full color management through LCMS for ICC and OpenColor IO for EXR, allowing you to incorporate Krita into your existing color management pipeline.
Open PSD files that even Photoshop cannot open. Load and save to PSD when you need to take your artwork across different programs.
Krita is the only dedicated painting application that lets you open, save, edit and author HDR and scene-deffered images. Furthermore, with OCIO and OpenEXR support, you can manipulate the view to examine HDR images, and use it in the most cutting edge workflows from the film and visual effects industries.
Krita 4.1.0 includes the following major new features:
- A new reference images tool that replaces the old reference images docker.
- You can now save and load sessions: the set of images and views on images you were working on
- You can create multi-monitor workspace layouts
- An improved workflow for working with animation frames
- An improved animation timeline display
- Krita can now handle larger animation by buffering rendered frames to disk
- The color picker now has a mixing option
- Improved vanishing point assistant — and assistants can be painted with custom colors
- Krita’s scripting module can now be built with Python 2
- The first part of Ivan Yossi’s Google Summer of Code work on improving the performance of brush masks through vectorization is included as well!
And there are a host of bug fixes, of course, and improvements to the rendering performance and more features. Read the full release notes to discover what’s new in Krita 4.1.
Download: Krita 4.1.0 (32-bit) | Portable | ~100.0 MB (Open Source)
Download: Krita 4.1.0 (64-bit) | Portable
Download: Krita Windows App Store (commercial software)
View: Krita Home Page | Krita Screenshot
Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware