There's good news today for Windows Phone owners in the UK who regularly use the nation's rail network, as the official National Rail Enquiries app - which has been available on iOS and Android for some time - has now launched for Microsoft's mobile OS too.
Key features of the app include:
- View all your favourite and recent journeys
- Plan journeys home or to work all on one screen
- Pin your journey to the start screen for one-tap journey plans and live train requests
- Live journey updates for your home station from the app tile on your phone home screen
- Live departures and arrivals boards for any station
- Get travel alerts as they happen
- Plan your journey to/from a London Underground or DLR station
- Compare rail fares & buy tickets
Windows Phone users needing help navigating the National Rail network have previously had to rely on unofficial apps, like Rail Planner - once priced at £4.99, but now available for a more reasonable £1.19. Ticket sales apps like thetrainline and RedSpottedHanky have also been available, but while these are handy for planning and booking journeys in advance, they lack many of the features that commuters and travelers find especially useful on the go.
The new app is free, and much more handy for regular rail users, and its performance is pretty speedy too. And, unlike your train, it's likely to become even more useful when those pesky 'leaves on the line' and 'the wrong kind of snow' return to wreak havoc across the network.