That's right folks. On July 27th, all you have to do is restart Steam, or launch Steam, and you will automagically receive this content pack for free. Tripwire has several of these planned, and all will be free of charge. So, without blabbering on about it, how about we check out what's new and what's fixed and you know, all that good free stuff:
- Brand new map - "Lyes Krovy". This is a brutal close-quarters fight for a German trench-and-bunker position in a forest in northern Russia, in the summer of 1944. The Soviet forces get to assault into and through a strongly-fortified position, while the Germans fight hard to hold them off. This one has rapidly become a firm favourite with the test team!
- Brand new weapon system - smoke grenades. We've teased about this one on the forums... on some maps, infantry commanders will now have smoke instead of explosive grenades, which can be used to create quick cover for assault routes, or to momentarily blind the defenders. We're finding that clever use of smoke can change tactical stalemates at a stroke!
- Tank reloading: we've listened to the requests and we have changed the tank reloading so that you now choose the next round to load, without having to unload first. Quicker, more realistic, more intuitive.
- Victory conditions changed so round can no longer end in stalemate "No Decisive Victory" situations.
- Multiple fixes, including a fix from Creative Labs for choppy VOIP with EAX, no more players "bouncing" off prone players and no more "telefragging" when players change stance.
- Merged in the UT2004 3369 optimizations to improve server and client CPU performance.
It is an awesome and very realistic WW2 shooter, very well done and very slick. Plenty of people are playing online, so you won't be alone soldier!