WinRAR is an archiving utility that completely supports RAR and ZIP archives and is able to unpack CAB, ARJ, LZH, TAR, GZ, ACE, UUE, BZ2, JAR, ISO, 7Z, Z archives. It consistently makes smaller archives than the competition, saving disk space and transmission costs. WinRAR offers you the benefit of industry strength archive encryption using AES (Advanced Encryption Standard) with a key of 128 bits. It supports files and archives up to 8,589 billion gigabytes in size. It also offers the ability to create self extracting and multi volume archives. With recovery record and recovery volumes, you can reconstruct even physically damaged archives.
WinRAR 5.70 Beta 1 changelog:
- "Files to process" option on "Time" page of archiving dialog allows to choose files based on modification, creation or last access file time. Previously it was possible for modification time only.
- Command line -ta, -tb, -tn, -to switches accept 'm', 'c' and 'a' modifiers after the switch name. So file time conditions can include not only the file modification time as in previous versions, but also creation and last access time.
- WinRAR file list can display creation and last access file times if they are available. Creation and last access columns are disabled by default and can be enabled in "Select file list columns" dialog. This dialog is opened after right clicking on file list column headers or after pressing "File list/Files/Columns..." button in WinRAR settings.
- "Double extensions for archives" and "Archives in subfolders" options on "Files" page of archiving dialog modify behavior of "Put each file to separate archive" option. You can switch between archive names in filename.ext.rar and filename.rar style with "Double extensions for archives". You can create a separate archive for every file in selected subfolders or store the entire contents of every selected folder in separate archive depending on the state of "Archives in subfolders" option.
- New -ad1 switch can be used when unpacking multiple archives recursively, such as 'rar x -r -ad1 arc\*.rar'. It creates a separate folder for files unpacked from each archive, but unlike already existing -ad switch, it creates such folders in each archive folder.
- If context menu "Extract each archive to separate folder" is applied to archives from different folders in Windows Explorer "Search results", subfolders with unpacked files are created in each archive folder. Previous versions created them all in a folder of right clicked archive.
- New "File list/List style/Checkboxes" option in WinRAR settings allows to use checkboxes to select file list items.
- New "File list/Files/Exact sizes" option in WinRAR settings. If this option is on, file sizes are always displayed in bytes. If it is off, sizes are rounded up and use units such as KB or MB. Smaller files can be still displayed in bytes.
- If several console RAR are started with -ioff switch, PC is turned off by RAR copy finished last. Previously this switch was processed by first finished copy.
- Read and write buffer size is increased for .iso files. It can help to improve .iso extraction performance in some cases, such as for network drives.
- If "Delete archive" option in extraction dialog is applied to a set of RAR and REV volumes in volname.part# format, WinRAR will delete REV volumes as well. Previously only RAR volumes were deleted keeping REV files intact.
- If "Delete archive" option in extraction dialog is applied to set of ZIP volumes with .zip.001, .zip.002, .zip.003 extensions, WinRAR will delete all ZIP volumes. Previously only .zip.001 volume was deleted for such volume naming scheme.
- If we unpack arcname.rar using "Extract to arcname\" Explorer context menu command and "arcname" file already exists, WinRAR shell extension will propose "Extract to arcname~1\" instead. Previously this context menu command attempted to create a folder with same name as already existing file and failed.
- If we pack a shortcut file with .lnk extension from Explorer context menu, .lnk file itself is added to archive. Previous versions added .lnk file target instead of .lnk file.
- Windows does not allow executables exceeding 4 GB, so WinRAR issues an error immediately when attempting to create 4 GB or larger RAR SFX volumes. Previously WinRAR issued such error only after creating the first RAR volume.
- Total extraction progress is displayed for 7z multivolume archives. Accuracy of 7z total extraction progress is improved.
- Nadav Grossman from Check Point Software Technologies informed us about a security vulnerability in UNACEV2.DLL library. Aforementioned vulnerability makes possible to create files in arbitrary folders inside or outside of destination folder when unpacking ACE archives. WinRAR used this third party library to unpack ACE archives. UNACEV2.DLL had not been updated since 2005 and we do not have access to its source code. So we decided to drop ACE archive format support to protect security of WinRAR users. We are thankful to Check Point Software Technologies for reporting this issue.
- console RAR mixed up source and destination file sizes and times in the overwrite prompt when updating a file in RAR archive with -o switch;
- dragging files from 32-bit applications to 64-bit WinRAR window did not work;
- WinRAR Shift+Del command applied to a folder could fail to delete some its subfolders. This command is used to delete files and folders permanently instead of moving them to Recycle Bin;
- folder tree panel could not change folders if archived pathnames started from path separator, such as in archives created by tar tool with --absolute-names option;
- if relative "Path=.\somefolder" was specified in SFX comment and SFX archive needed to elevate privileges when extracting, it created 'somefolder\somefolder' instead of 'somefolder';
- commands modifying an existing RAR4 volume reset the volume number field to 1. While it did not affect extraction, WinRAR displayed a wrong volume number for such volumes;
- fixed a crash when reading a comment from a corrupt RAR file;
- toolbar in "Find" command "Search results" window was not adjusted to different toolbar icon sizes properly.
Changes in WinRAR 5.70 Beta 2:
- "Find" command "Disks and folders" drop down list has been renamed to "Search area". Additionally to already existing choices, it includes a new "Selected items" option restricting search to files and folders selected in WinRAR file list.
- "Find" command displays the number of found items in status bar.
- Switches -ta, -tb, -tn, -to now allow any number of modifiers in the same switch to set the same date for all specified times. For example, -tamc20190215 will process files modified and created after 2019-02-15.
- New 'o' modifier permits to switch from AND to OR logic, so -tamco20190215 includes files modified or created after 2019-02-15. It is also allowed to specify several time filtering switches with different dates in the same command line, like: -taco20190201 -tbmo20190210
- Switches -ta and -tn also include files matching the specified date exactly. Switches -tb and -to exclude such files.
- "Diagnostic messages" window displays archive names in a separate column to provide the better message visibility for lengthy archive names.
- Switch -isnd[-] in command line WinRAR mode allows to override "Enable sound" option in WinRAR settings. Use -isnd to turn sound notifications on and -isnd- to turn them off.
- disabling "Packed" file list column also affected "Type" column inside of archives leaving it blank;
- WinRAR issued "The specified password is incorrect" message infinitely when extracting an encrypted file from RAR archive without name encryption if a wrong global password was set;
- "File list/Files/Exact sizes" option in WinRAR settings did not work inside of archives.
Download: WinRAR 5.70 Beta 2 32-bit | 2.8 MB (Shareware)
Download: WinRAR 5.70 Beta 2 64-bit | 3.0 MB
Links: WinRAR Website | WinRAR Themes
Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware
4 Comments - Add comment