If you are a NAS (network-attached storage) user who wants to expand their storage or someone who is keen about it and looking to get into NASs, the WD Red Plus model is currently selling for pretty attractive prices, depending on the variants. Most of the the SKUs are discounted but the 4TB and 10TB models definitely are the best deals by far (links to purchase are below). Keep in mind that some of these are Prime-exclusive. (Check this article instead if you are looking for high capacity external storage drives).
The really nice thing about the Red Plus series is that these are based on the conventional magnetic recording (CMR) technology unlike the non-Plus series which uses SMR or shingled magnetic recording. In brief, CMR disks are better for NAS as they don't drop off in performance after repeated usage which makes them ideal for such use cases. SMR drives, however, are fine for archiving or backing up data.
Thanks to Amazon Prime Day, the two largest are now even cheaper.
Get the WD Red Plus at the links below:
- 3TB (5400 RPM 128MB cache): $59.99 (Amazon US)
- 4TB (5400 RPM 128MB cache): $69.99 (Amazon US)
- 6TB (5640 RPM 128MB cache): $109.99 (Amazon US) ; $109.99 (Newegg US)
- 8TB (5640 RPM 128MB cache): $129.99 (Amazon US) ; $129.99 (Newegg US)
- 10TB (7200 RPM 256MB cache): was $184.99 now $159.99 (Amazon US)
- 14TB (7200 RPM 512MB cache): was $269.99 now $209.99 (Amazon US)
If there is not a disk up there for you, check out these other Sandisk and Western Digital Early Prime Day deals that also include SSD and SDcard storage options.
Our stories may contain affiliate links for products/apps where Neowin is paid an affiliate fee if you complete a purchase via those links.