The Microsoft Store in the UK has opened pre-orders for HP's new flagship-class Windows 10 Mobile handset - although it's priced quite a bit higher than expected.
Independent retailer Clove.co.uk began taking pre-orders for the Elite x3 last month, priced at £680, including not just the phone itself but also the Desk Dock accessory, which supports the PC-like Continuum mode in Windows 10 Mobile, allowing owners to use a mouse and keyboard with the device when connected to a larger display.
Microsoft's 'HP Elite x3 Business Pack' also includes the Desk Dock - but it's priced £69 higher than Clove, at £749. Microsoft says the device will be released in the UK on August 18.
The Elite x3's key specs include:
- 5.96-inch AMOLED with Quad HD (2560x1440px) resolution, Corning Gorilla Glass 4, and anti-reflective coating
- Quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 SoC
- 4GB RAM
- 64GB onboard storage (plus microSD card support)
- 16MP rear camera
- 8MP front-facing camera
- Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac
- Bluetooth 4.0
- NFC support
- 4G LTE connectivity
- Optional dual-SIM support
- USB 3.0 port with Type-C connector
- Iris scanner
- Fingerprint scanner
- IP67 rating for dust- and water-resistance
- MIL-STD-810G rating, assuring device protection for drops from up to 1 meter
- Pogo pins
- Qi wireless charging
- 4150mAh battery
- 161.8 x 83.5 x 7.8mm; 194g
While the Elite x3 includes a fingerprint sensor on the back, HP documentation recently revealed that it won't be supported at launch. The handset's spec sheet stated that the sensor "will not be enabled until OTA update in Fall 2016".
We took a close look at the Elite x3 earlier this year, including a chat with a HP executive about the handset's development.
Source: Microsoft Store