Verizon has started rolling out an update for Galaxy S8 and S8+ devices on the network. However, before you get too excited, it's still just Android 7.0 Nougat. The update does consist of a lot of bug fixes and improvements which include an option for faster face recognition, navigation bar tweaks, and fixes for things like VPNs, car Bluetooth, and alarms.
The full changelog for this latest version (Builds NRD90M.G950USQU1AQGL and NRD90M.G955USQU1AQGL for the S8 and S8+, respectively is listed below.
Faster face recognition
- To add convenience for users who are currently using Face Recognition as their mode of phone security, the "Faster recognition" option is now available to unlock the phone instantly.
- To increase security, allow your device to take its time and thoroughly scan your face by leaving the "Faster recognition" option off.
Navigation bar "Show and hide button" updated to interact with a double tap
- On the previous software update, users were given a new option to turn off the navigation bar to maximize their view of the screen (by toggling the small, round lock / unlock button shown on the lower left side of the navigation bar).
- With this update, users can double tap the lock / unlock button (instead of a single tap) to prevent any accidental or unintentional change in the navigation bar configuration.
Alarm notifications on the AOD (Always On Display)
- An adjustment has been made to prevent rare instances where an alarm related notification does not appear on the AOD while device is idle.
Briefing card update notification fix
- The Briefing card within the Hello Bixby page has been updated to remove unnecessary app update notifications that may have been seen on the previous software.
Car Bluetooth® music browser issue fix
- For vehicles with a built in info-tainment system, a fix has been implemented to ensure music playback and the ability to browse the current playlist on the car's display, even after receiving a voice call.
Caller Name ID app update
- The preloaded Caller Name ID app has been updated to the latest version (6.6.1).
Smart Switch app update
- The preloaded Smart Switch app has been updated to the latest version (3.4.06.7).
For B2B enterprise customers
- Virtual Private Network (VPN) connection improvements
- Knox container initialization improvements
Keep in mind that Samsung also says that Face recognition is less secure than using Iris, fingerprint, PIN ,or pattern to unlock, but this update makes unlocking the S8 and S8+ even faster shjould you opt to stick with that method.
The navigation bar update changes the single tap of the lock/unlock button to prevent nav bar changes to a double-tap. What's left are bug fixes and app-updates. Bluetooth audio also received an update which should fix drops after receiving a call.
If you don't see an OTA waiting for you, you can check in Settings -> About phone -> Software updates -> Check for Updates, and if one is available you should be prompted to download it. Just make sure you're on Wi-Fi, as the update is going to be quite big.
Source: Android Police