Shotcut is a free, open source, cross-platform video editor for Windows, Mac and Linux. Major features include support for a wide range of formats; no import required meaning native timeline editing; Blackmagic Design support for input and preview monitoring; and resolution support to 4k.
- Trimming on source clip player or timeline with ripple option
- Append, insert, overwrite, lift, and ripple delete editing on the timeline
- 3-point editing
- Hide, mute, and lock track controls
- Multitrack timeline with thumbnails and waveforms
- Unlimited undo and redo for playlist edits including a history view
- Create, play, edit, save, load, encode, and stream MLT XML projects (with auto-save)
- Save and load trimmed clip as MLT XML file
- Load and play complex MLT XML file as a clip
- Drag-n-drop files from file manager
- Scrubbing and transport control
- Video compositing across video tracks
- HTML5 (sans audio and video) as video source and filters
- 3-way (shadows, mids, highlights) color wheels for color correction and grading
- Eye dropper tool to pick neutral color for white balancing
- Fade in/out audio and fade video from and to black with easy-to-use fader controls on timeline
- Video wipe transitions:
- bar, barn door, box, clock (radial), diagonal, iris, matrix, and custom gradient image
- Track compositing/blending modes:
- Over, Add, Saturate, Multiply, Screen, Overlay, Darken, Dodge, Burn, Hard Light, Soft Light, Difference, Exclusion, HSL Hue, HSL Saturation, HSL Color, HSL Luminosity.
- Video Filters:
- Alpha Channel: Adjust, Alpha Channel: View, Blur, Brightness, Chroma Key: Advanced, Chroma Key: Simple, Contrast, Color Grading, Crop, Diffusion, Glow, Invert Colors, Key Spill: Advanced, Key Spill: Simple, Mirror, Old Film: Dust, Old Film: Grain, Old Film: Projector, Old Film: Scratches, Old Film: Technocolor, Opacity, Rotate, Rutt-Etra-Izer, Saturation, Sepia Tone, Sharpen, Size and Position, Stabilize, Text, Vignette, Wave, White Balance
- Speed effect for audio/video clips
- Blackmagic Design SDI and HDMI for input and preview monitoring
- Leap Motion for jog/shuttle control
- Webcam capture
- Audio capture to system audio card
- Capture (record) SDI, HDMI, webcam (V4L2), JACK audio, PulseAudio, IP stream, X11 screen, and Windows DirectShow devices
- Multi-core parallel image processing (when not using GPU and frame-dropping is disabled)
- DeckLink SDI keyer output
- OpenGL GPU-based image processing with 16-bit floating point linear per color component
Shotcut 18.12.23 fixes:
- Fixed color accuracy of lossless/Ut Video preset and use yuv422p format
- Fixed number of digits for seconds in the Timer video filter when using Format > MM:SS.SS.
- Fixed compositing completely transparent areas of alpha channel darkens output.
- Fixed some generators (Color Bars, Ising, Lissajous, Plasma) not working correctly in Timeline.
- Fixed Settings > External Monitor > DeckLink/Intensity can stall when Settings > Realtime is enabled.
- Fixed making project folder if a parent folder does not exist.
- Fixed New Project > Start does not save a .mlt file until you open media and save.
- Fixed launch on some Linux (e.g. gentoo) by including libselinux .
- Fixed crash when undo Playlist > Remove All.
- Fixed auto-saved file not removed when save and exit with no changes.
- Fixed the color accuracy of the Color generator.
- Fixed numeric locale bug in the Audio Spectrum Visualization and Audio Waveform Visualization filters.
- Fixed clip reloaded when leaving Properties > Speed with no change.
- Fixed Settings > External Monitor on Windows screen.
- Fixed launch crash on Linux with (Csound) csladspa
Changes and Improvements
- Improved color accuracy of internal RGB-to-YUV conversions.
- Changed Quality to 100% when using the intermediate/ProRes preset.
- Added 16:9, 9:16, and 1:1 aspect ratios for transition wipes.
- Moved Properties > Reverse... from the overflow menu to a button.
- Changed Properties > Reverse... to use project folder if used.
- When Reverse job completes, automatically open it and add it to the Playlist
- Start playback from the beginning if you play when the play head is at the end.
- Improved speed of the Text and Timer video filters.
- Added View > Scopes > Video Histogram
Added Preset to some more filters:
- Audio Gain/Volume
- Added Preset and simple and advanced keyframes to the Balance and Pan audio filters.
- Added a Levels video filter with simple and advanced keyframes!
- Added Properties > Color Range for video clips.
Replace the Mask video filter with 3 new filters:
- Mask: Simple Shape
- Mask: From File
- Mask: Apply
The new Mask: Apply filter makes it possible to mask filters without using multiple tracks! Use Mask: Simple Shape or Mask: From File to start the filter mask followed the video filters to be masked followed by Mask: Apply to apply the mask to the filters in between. Filters before or after the mask filters affect the entire video frame. One can still use Mask: Simple Shape or Mask: From File to affect the alpha channel for multitrack compositing as before. This makes them compatible with existing information and tutorials that suggest using multiple tracks as well as enabling collage/montage or transition effects when the tracks do not use the same clip.
The new Mask: From File is a powerful new video filter offering 3 modes:
- wipe transition (stock or custom)
- Channel > Brightness from a video or image file (File > Custom...)
- Channel > Alpha from a video or image file. Moreover, Threshold can be animated with simple or keyframes, which is especially nice when used with luma-wipe image files (stock or custom). Not only can you wipe on a masked filter but also you can use this as an alternative way to make a wipe transition using multiple tracks (instead of same track transition).
Download: Shotcut 18.12.23 (32-bit) | Portable | ~100.0 MB (Open Source)
Download: Shotcut 18.12.23 (64-bit) | Portable | ~200.0 MB
View: Shotcut Home Page | Other Operating Systems
Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware
0 Comments - Add comment