Our youngest readers may not be familiar with Crazy Taxi, but many of us who are a bit older have fond memories of enjoying the chaos and mayhem of the old-school arcade game. While the arcade version - complete with steering wheel and accelerator/brake pedals - was enormously fun when it came out in 1999, the Sega Dreamcast version released in 2000 was a huge hit too, and the game later made its way to other platforms as well.
Crazy Taxi has even made its way to mobile devices - and now, Sega has made the game free to play on iOS and Android. The game is ad-supported, but players can choose to pay $2 if they don't want to sit through the ads. Those who have previously purchased the mobile game can also switch to the new ad-free version through the 'Restore Purchases' feature on iOS; or via 'My apps and games' on Google Play.
The game's store listing highlights some of its key features:
TRANSPORT BACK TO 2000
- Remastered for mobile devices based on the hugely popular Dreamcast Classic
- Rock out to original music by The Offspring and Bad Religion
FIERCE ENVIRONMENTS TO MAKE YOUR PASSENGERS GO INSANE
- Extra large hills for extra long hang time
- Parked transporters with conveniently angled ramps
- Occasional deep sea exploration opportunities
DONT GET TOO DELIRIOUS
- Choose from 3, 5 or 10 minute game play in Arcade Mode and Original Mode
- Play in touch or tilt control modes
- Continue the madness with 16 Mini games
- Listen to tracks from your own music playlist
- Universal Build - Buy once and play across multiple devices
- Controller Support - Play with your Power A Moga, Xbox, and all HID controllers!
You can get a further overview of the Android version of the game in the trailer below: