Audacity is a free, open source digital audio editor and recording application. Edit your sounds using cut, copy, and paste features (with unlimited undo functionality), mix tracks, or apply effects to your recordings. The program also has a built-in amplitude-envelope editor, a customizable spectrogram mode, and a frequency-analysis window for audio-analysis applications. Built-in effects include bass boost, wah wah, and noise removal, and the program also supports VST plug-in effects.
You can use Audacity to:
- Record live audio.
- Record computer playback on any Windows Vista or later machine.
- Convert tapes and records into digital recordings or CDs.
- Edit WAV, AIFF, FLAC, MP2, MP3 or Ogg Vorbis sound files.
- AC3, M4A/M4R (AAC), WMA and other formats supported using optional libraries.
- Cut, copy, splice or mix sounds together.
- Numerous effects including change the speed or pitch of a recording.
- Write your own plug-in effects with Nyquist.
- And more! See the complete list of features.
Audacity 2.3.3 changelog:
- Equalization effect now split into two effects, Filter Curve and Graphic EQ.
- Presets (using manage button) now active/working.
- Can now have two points at same frequency for steep steps.
- ‘What you hear is what you get’ for exports. Formerly the solo button
- preferences could lead to differences in which tracks were exported.
- Leading silence (blank space) not skipped over in exports.
- Quality setting on AAC/M4A exports.
- Some confusing functionality removed (better achieved in other ways)
- Removed Nyquist Workbench (use built-in nyquist features)
- Removed Vocal Remover (use Vocal Reduction)
- Removed On-Demand aliased files (copy files instead)
- Removed ‘Normalize on Load’ (Normalize as needed on export, instead)
- 2112 - Crash when opening Equalization settings in a Macro
- 2127 - Crash deleting a track while in Record/Pause state
- 2176 - Crash when attempting to time shift multiple tracks
- 2141 - Tabbing between labels stopped working
- 2200 - Refusal to export some large (4GB) files on size grounds
Known Issues in 2.3.3:
- Audacity 2.3.3 does not properly support macOS Catalina, but can be used with a workaround. There are new security restrictions in Catalina on using the microphone. For example, Audacity may run, but fail to record. Catalina was released towards the end of 2.3.2 development.
See also: 2.3.3 Release Notes
Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware