PhotoDemon is a free, portable photo editor for Microsoft Windows. It is 100% free and 100% open-source. Its UI is fully themable, with built-in light, dark, and monochrome themes. All tools support real-time previews, custom presets, keyboard navigation, and unlimited Undo/Redo. PhotoDemon provides a comprehensive photo editor in a 14 MB download. It runs on any Windows PC (XP through Win 11) and it does not require installation, administrator rights, or Internet access. You can run it directly from a USB stick, SD card, or portable drive.
The current build provides more than 200 professional-grade tools, including layers, selection tools and digital paintbrushes, content-aware fill and resize, shadow/highlight recovery, perspective and lens correction, and full support for image files from other popular photo editors, including Adobe Photoshop (PSD), Corel Paintshop Pro (PSP), and GIMP (XCF).
What makes PhotoDemon unique?
Integrated macro recording and batch processing
- Complex editing actions can be recorded as macros (similar to Office software). A built-in batch processor lets you apply macros to entire folders of images.
Usability is paramount
- Many open-source photo editors are usability nightmares. PhotoDemon tries not to be. Small touches like real-time effect previews, save/load presets on all tools, unlimited Undo/Redo, "Fade last action", keyboard accelerators, mouse wheel and X-button support, and descriptive icons make it fast and easy to use.
Pro-grade features and tools
- Extensive file format support, including Adobe Photoshop (PSD), Corel PaintShop Pro (PSP), GIMP (XCF), and all major camera RAW formats
- Advanced multi-layer support, including editable text layers and non-destructive layer modifications
- Color-managed workflow, including full support for embedded ICC profiles
- On-canvas tools: digital paintbrushes, clone and pattern brushes, advanced selection tools, interactive gradients, and more
- Adjustment tools: levels, curves, HDR, shadow/highlight recovery, white balance, and many more
- Filters and effects: perspective correction, edge enhancement, noise removal, content-aware fill and resize, unsharp masking, gradient and palette mapping, and many more
- More than 200 tools are provided in the current build.
PhotoDemon 9.0 release notes:
- After two years of work, PhotoDemon 9.0 is available to download. New features include an improved user interface, multi-selection support, new image format support (AVIF, PSP, SVG, XCF and more), content-aware fill, new filters and effects, and much more. Everything new and improved is described in (excruciating) detail in the release announcement at photodemon.org.
Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware