Shotcut is a free, open source, cross-platform video editor for Windows, Mac and Linux. Major features include support for a wide range of formats; no import required meaning native timeline editing; Blackmagic Design support for input and preview monitoring; and resolution support to 4k.
- Trimming on source clip player or timeline with ripple option
- Append, insert, overwrite, lift, and ripple delete editing on the timeline
- 3-point editing
- Hide, mute, and lock track controls
- Multitrack timeline with thumbnails and waveforms
- Unlimited undo and redo for playlist edits including a history view
- Create, play, edit, save, load, encode, and stream MLT XML projects (with auto-save)
- Save and load trimmed clip as MLT XML file
- Load and play complex MLT XML file as a clip
- Drag-n-drop files from file manager
- Scrubbing and transport control
- Video compositing across video tracks
- HTML5 (sans audio and video) as video source and filters
- 3-way (shadows, mids, highlights) color wheels for color correction and grading
- Eye dropper tool to pick neutral color for white balancing
- Fade in/out audio and fade video from and to black with easy-to-use fader controls on timeline
- Video wipe transitions:
- bar, barn door, box, clock (radial), diagonal, iris, matrix, and custom gradient image
- Track compositing/blending modes:
- Over, Add, Saturate, Multiply, Screen, Overlay, Darken, Dodge, Burn, Hard Light, Soft Light, Difference, Exclusion, HSL Hue, HSL Saturation, HSL Color, HSL Luminosity.
- Video Filters:
- Alpha Channel: Adjust, Alpha Channel: View, Blur, Brightness, Chroma Key: Advanced, Chroma Key: Simple, Contrast, Color Grading, Crop, Diffusion, Glow, Invert Colors, Key Spill: Advanced, Key Spill: Simple, Mirror, Old Film: Dust, Old Film: Grain, Old Film: Projector, Old Film: Scratches, Old Film: Technocolor, Opacity, Rotate, Rutt-Etra-Izer, Saturation, Sepia Tone, Sharpen, Size and Position, Stabilize, Text, Vignette, Wave, White Balance
- Speed effect for audio/video clips
- Blackmagic Design SDI and HDMI for input and preview monitoring
- Leap Motion for jog/shuttle control
- Webcam capture
- Audio capture to system audio card
- Capture (record) SDI, HDMI, webcam (V4L2), JACK audio, PulseAudio, IP stream, X11 screen, and Windows DirectShow devices
- Multi-core parallel image processing (when not using GPU and frame-dropping is disabled)
- DeckLink SDI keyer output
- OpenGL GPU-based image processing with 16-bit floating point linear per color component
Shotcut 22.01.30 changelog:
3 New Equalizers!
- Added an Equalizer: 15-band (graphic) audio filter.
- Added an Equalizer: 3-Band (Bass & Treble) audio filter.
- (Removed the old Bass & Treble audio filter.)
- Added an Equalizer: Parametric audio filter.
More New Stuff
- Added Segments parameter to the following video filters:
- Audio Level Visualization
- Audio Spectrum Visualization
- Audio Waveform Visualization
- Added Settings > Job Priority to the main menu with a Normal option to improve performance on Intel 12th generation CPUs with E-cores. Low priority is the default as it has always been and is generally recommended.
- Added Wayland compatibility to Flatpak for Linux.
- Reduced audio distortion in Properties > Reverse for the best/MKV option.
- Removed Use Higher Performance Waveforms (default is on but still in configuration).
- Added a warning dialog when trying to use simple keyframes when advanced keyframes are being used.
- Changed to remove full keyframes when switching to simple keyframes.
- Added a warning dialog when trying to use advanced keyframes when simple keyframes are being used.
- Changed to convert simple keyframes to advanced keyframes.
- Changed tooltips on the Timeline and Keyframes toolbar to simplify and remove shortcuts from translated strings.
- Improved compatibility of VA-API hardware encoding on Linux, particularly on Wayland.
- Updated AV1, VP8, and VP9 encoders to latest releases.
- Updated Rubberband (audio pitch library) to latest release.
- Fixed the appearance of Shotcut's description in Windows Task Manager (broke in v21.12).
- Fixed filters when Export > From is Source or Each Playlist Item (broke in v21.05).
- Fixed File > Export > Markers as Chapters if project contains transitions.
- Fixed a possible crash moving clip inside blank on same track.
- Fixed a crash when dropping a .mlt MLX XML file from a file manager to Playlist and then Timeline.
- Fixed a crash on undo insert/overwrite after undo add transition.
- Fixed Hold undo in Noise Gate audio filter.
- Fixed audio mutes after setting an in or out point when playing not 1x forward in Source.
- Fixed the Segment Gap goes to zero when reloading an Audio Spectrum Visualization filter.
- Fixed Mask: Simple Shape > Rotate not working in presets.
- Fixed page up/down incorrect when Current position (timecode) spin box has focus.
- Fixed extra blanks being removed when drag moving a clip right with Ripple turned on.
- Fixed paths to additional files used by some filters not saved as relative on Windows.
- Fixed tiny clips created when trimming on the Timeline with Ripple All Tracks turned on.
- Fixed removing simple keyframes.
- Fixed the Text: Rich video filter shows the editor when playhead is not over selected clip.
- Fixed Properties > Menu > Measure Video Quality (VMAF) not working on Windows.
- Fixed a possible crash in Glitch video filter.
- Fixed a crash changing Properties > Video > Rotation when the clip has a transition.
- Fixed the Mask: From File video filter's Reverse option not working as intended.
- Fixed broadcast standard non-integer frame rates (e.g. 30000/1001) for Matrosk and WebM files.
- Fixed a bad job percentage complete when making a proxy or running a convert job on a GoPro video file.
Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware