VirtualBox is a general-purpose full virtualizer for x86 hardware. Targeted at server, desktop and embedded use, it is now the only professional-quality virtualization solution that is also Open Source Software.
Some of the features of VirtualBox are:
- Modularity. VirtualBox has an extremely modular design with well-defined internal programming interfaces and a client/server design. This makes it easy to control it from several interfaces at once: for example, you can start a virtual machine in a typical virtual machine GUI and then control that machine from the command line, or possibly remotely. VirtualBox also comes with a full Software Development Kit: even though it is Open Source Software, you don't have to hack the source to write a new interface for VirtualBox.
- Virtual machine descriptions in XML. The configuration settings of virtual machines are stored entirely in XML and are independent of the local machines. Virtual machine definitions can therefore easily be ported to other computers.
This is a maintenance release. The following items were fixed and/or added:
- VRDP: fixed screen corruption
- NAT: the interface stopped working after a lot of failed ICMP requests
- E1000: fixed rare Windows 7 guest hangs, either at boot time or when reconfiguring the network card in unusual setups
- ATA: fixed a possible crash during ATAPI passthrough with certain guests
- ATA: improved compatibility with ancient Linux kernels
- Main: fixed incorrect framebuffer information after leaving the fullscreen mode with X11 guests, this lead to a scrambled preview window in the GUI for example
- Mac OS X hosts: fixed the problem with duplicate packets when bridged to a wireless interface
- Linux hosts: fix for 3D support on Fedora 15
- Linux hosts: don't call del_timer_sync from an interrupt context (Fedora bug report 746331)
- Windows Vista and 7 guests: more WDDM fixes
- Linux Additions: fixed kernel module compilation failure on Redhat Enterprise Linux 4
- Linux Additions: install the DRI driver correctly on Ubuntu 11.10 guests
- Solaris Additions: added read-only mmap support for shared folders
- Solaris Additions: added directory, file mode and mask options for shared folders
- Windows Additions: implemented faster detection of logged-in guest users and stale sessions
- X.Org Additions: fixed graphical corruption when switching to a virtual terminal
Download: VirtualBox 188.8.131.52713 | 87.2 MB (Open Source)
View: VirtualBox Website
7 Comments - Add comment