tommy_vercetti for posting the news that DivX has been updated with dual core support. This from the DivX website:
If you've been waiting for an excuse.. err.. "reason" to go dual core it's just arrived! But enough of this small talk, let's delve into the details...
Download: DivX Create (incl v6.1 Codec) 12.5 MB (Shareware, $19.95)
Download: DivX 6.0 Bundle (incl v6.0 Codec) 10.9 MB (Freeware)
View: DivX Web site
- Full support for single CPU, HyperThreaded (HT), dual CPU (SMP) and dual core processors. Encoding performance is improved up to 180% for HT CPUs and up to 250% for Dual Core + HT.
- Mutlithreading is enabled in the DivX decoder for DirectShow when the option to 'Reduce CPU spikes using one frame delay' is enabled and post-processing is applied.
- Optimizations have been added for processors supporting SSE2 extensions.
- A new "High Performance" encoding mode has been added.
- A new "1-Pass Target Quantizer" mode has been added.
- The codec now includes a Lanczos resize filter for very sharp resizing.
- The Feedback Window now displays VBV level and has variable axis for PSNR plots.
- The Feedback Window now contains controls for changing VBV bitrate, performance mode and psychovisual enhancement in real time during encoding.
- DivX High Definition profile now permits average bitrates of up to 6 Mbps.
- MPEG quantization has been improved.
- Brightness, contrast, and saturation controls are now respected by the DivX decoder for DirectShow.
- The DivX decoder for DirectShow now respects the option to "Output YUV 4:2:0 when supported."
- It is now possible to exclude the Settings Manager by using RegEdit to add the process name to the list under: HKLMSoftwareDivXNetworksDivXSMExclusions.
- The performance of "Extreme Quality" and "Insane Quality" modes has been improved.
- "Fastest" mode now achieves better compression and produces video compliant with certified encoding profiles.
- Quarter-pixel motion estimation has been enhanced for performance and is now available in all modes from "Balanced" through "Insane quality" when "Unconstrained profile" is selected.
- Item descriptions in the encoder GUI have been improved for all languages.
- Generic MPEG-4 playback support has been improved.