Shotcut is a free, open source, cross-platform video editor for Windows, Mac and Linux. Major features include support for a wide range of formats; no import required meaning native timeline editing; Blackmagic Design support for input and preview monitoring; and resolution support to 4k.
- Trimming on source clip player or timeline with ripple option
- Append, insert, overwrite, lift, and ripple delete editing on the timeline
- 3-point editing
- Hide, mute, and lock track controls
- Multitrack timeline with thumbnails and waveforms
- Unlimited undo and redo for playlist edits including a history view
- Create, play, edit, save, load, encode, and stream MLT XML projects (with auto-save)
- Save and load trimmed clip as MLT XML file
- Load and play complex MLT XML file as a clip
- Drag-n-drop files from file manager
- Scrubbing and transport control
- Video compositing across video tracks
- HTML5 (sans audio and video) as video source and filters
- 3-way (shadows, mids, highlights) color wheels for color correction and grading
- Eye dropper tool to pick neutral color for white balancing
- Fade in/out audio and fade video from and to black with easy-to-use fader controls on timeline
- Video wipe transitions:
- bar, barn door, box, clock (radial), diagonal, iris, matrix, and custom gradient image
- Track compositing/blending modes:
- Over, Add, Saturate, Multiply, Screen, Overlay, Darken, Dodge, Burn, Hard Light, Soft Light, Difference, Exclusion, HSL Hue, HSL Saturation, HSL Color, HSL Luminosity.
- Video Filters:
- Alpha Channel: Adjust, Alpha Channel: View, Blur, Brightness, Chroma Key: Advanced, Chroma Key: Simple, Contrast, Color Grading, Crop, Diffusion, Glow, Invert Colors, Key Spill: Advanced, Key Spill: Simple, Mirror, Old Film: Dust, Old Film: Grain, Old Film: Projector, Old Film: Scratches, Old Film: Technocolor, Opacity, Rotate, Rutt-Etra-Izer, Saturation, Sepia Tone, Sharpen, Size and Position, Stabilize, Text, Vignette, Wave, White Balance
- Speed effect for audio/video clips
- Blackmagic Design SDI and HDMI for input and preview monitoring
- Leap Motion for jog/shuttle control
- Webcam capture
- Audio capture to system audio card
- Capture (record) SDI, HDMI, webcam (V4L2), JACK audio, PulseAudio, IP stream, X11 screen, and Windows DirectShow devices
- Multi-core parallel image processing (when not using GPU and frame-dropping is disabled)
- DeckLink SDI keyer output
- OpenGL GPU-based image processing with 16-bit floating point linear per color component
Shotcut 21.12.21 changelog:
A Note About log4j
Recently, a major security vulnerability was found in the log4j software, and many people are asking if an app they run uses log4j. Shotcut does not use log4j. log4j is for Java software, and Shotcut does not use Java.
More For Markers
- Added View > Markers panel with search, seeking, and editing (Ctrl+Shift+6, shift+command+6 on macOS).
- Added File > Export > Markers as Chapters...:
- This outputs in the format used to make chapters for YouTube!
- Added previously used colors to the marker context menu.
- Added keyboard shortcuts to seek between markers.
- Added a Ripple markers with edits button to the Timeline toolbar (Alt+R, option+R on macOS)
- Fixed delete marker keyboard shortcut may delete wrong marker.
- Fixed Export > From > Marker may export from wrong region marker.
More New Stuff
- Added Properties > Rotation for video clips to override orientation by some multiple of 90 degrees.
- Added support for keyframes to the Hue/Lightness/Saturation and Chroma Hold video filters.
- Updated MLT engine to version 7.4.0 (required for added keyframe support in some filters above).
- Added a file save dialog upon repairing a project file to prevent overwriting a previous repair.
- Removed some harmless error messages in logs.
- Changed Properties > Audio > Sync to hide when it is not applicable (no video track in the clip).
- Change the units of the Hue parameter in the Hue/Lightness/Saturation video filter to degrees.
- Improved the accuracy of bubble help when trimming in Timeline and Keyframes.
- Improved the accuracy and snap reliability of the 10 and 20-pixel grid player overlays.
- Improved various mouse and keyboard operations in Timeline and Keyframes.
- Improved the VMAF speed and accuracy of the Properties > Measure Video Quality....
- Fixed Timeline > menu > Track Operations > Insert Track breaks video track blending (broke in v21.10).
- Fixed copy and paste multiple clips from another project can change the video mode (broke in v21.10).
- Fixed Open Other > Audio/Video Device capture (broke in v21.10).
- Fixed a crash when changing Properties of Audio/Video Device.
- Fixed a crash in Old Film: Projector video filter with 360p preview scaling.
- Fixed a possible crash in the Mosaic video filter when width or height is 0.
- Fixed the output alpha channel of Timeline with more than one video track (thanks @andre-caldas!).
- Fixed the Time Remap video filter distorts audio when the speed is zero and resampling.
- Fixed the color range of LUT (3D) video filter on transitons with full range clips.
- Fixed a possible crash in Audio Loudness scope.
- Fixed window is initially all white and a small white window appears on startup on Windows.
- Fixed unwanted keyframes appear in Corner Pin video filter when trimming in.
- Fixed ugly pink video - not black background - after undo a remove/ripple-delete operation.
- Fixed keyframes can sometimes be dragged before previous or after next.
- Fixed double-clicking a keyframe does not delete it.
- Fixed incorrect filter parameter values after the last keyframe after a Split operation.
- Fixed a crash pasting from the clipboard to an empty timeline.
- Fixed inaccurate frame rate override with many decimal places in Properties > Convert > Advanced.
- Fixed incorrect colors when reloading the Audio Spectrum Visualization filter UI.
- Fixed being able to select the last filter when there are many Filters applied.
Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware