Wireshark is a network packet analyzer. A network packet analyzer will try to capture network packets and tries to display that packet data as detailed as possible. You could think of a network packet analyzer as a measuring device used to examine what's going on inside a network cable, just like a voltmeter is used by an electrician to examine what's going on inside an electric cable (but at a higher level, of course). In the past, such tools were either very expensive, proprietary, or both. However, with the advent of Wireshark, all that has changed. Wireshark is perhaps one of the best open source packet analyzers available today.
- Deep inspection of hundreds of protocols, with more being added all the time
- Live capture and offline analysis
- Standard three-pane packet browser
- Multi-platform: Runs on Windows, Linux, OS X, Solaris, FreeBSD, NetBSD, and many others
- Captured network data can be browsed via a GUI, or via the TTY-mode TShark utility
- The most powerful display filters in the industry
- Rich VoIP analysis
- Read/write many different capture file formats
- Capture files compressed with gzip can be decompressed on the fly
- Live data can be read from Ethernet, IEEE 802.11, PPP/HDLC, ATM, Bluetooth, USB, Token Ring, Frame Relay, FDDI, and others (depending on your platfrom)
- Decryption support for many protocols, including IPsec, ISAKMP, Kerberos, SNMPv3, SSL/TLS, WEP, and WPA/WPA2
- Coloring rules can be applied to the packet list for quick, intuitive analysis
- Output can be exported to XML, PostScript®, CSV, or plain text
Wireshark 4.0.9 changelog:
The following vulnerabilities have been fixed:
wnpa-sec-2023-27 RTPS dissector memory leak. Issue 19322. CVE-2023-5371.
The following bugs have been fixed:
- Updating from within Wireshark if a file is open fails because it can’t close Wireshark. Issue 17658.
- ESL timestamp provided by ET2000 not displayed. Issue 18308.
- Kafka: dissect_kafka_sync_group_request missing version check for instance_id. Issue 19290.
- Start Capture via context menu crashes on macOS with an older Qt version. Issue 19299.
- Delta time displayed is incorrect after unsetting time reference. Issue 19324.
- Fuzz job crash output: randpkt-2023-09-09-7060.pcap. Issue 19332.
- Missing one bit in SCCP::sequencing/segmenting. Issue 19336.
- Protobuf field malformed packet for last byte of 'repeated fixed32' Issue 19342.
- RTP/RFC 4571: Wrong desegmentation/reassembly in RTP over TCP packets. Issue 19345.
- Sparklines not working on macOS Sonoma with both native OS and Homebrew pcap. Issue 19349.
- Incorrect bit values and namings in BSS Configuration Report TLV. Issue 19352.
Updated Protocol Support
ESL, GNW, IDN, IEEE 1722, IEEE 1905.1a, ITS, Kafka, ProtoBuf, RTP, RTPS, SCCP, TACACS, and Tibia
Wireshark 4.0.10 fixes:
- Error loading g729.so plugin with Wireshark 4.0.9 and 3.6.17 on macOS. Issue 19374.
Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware