At the end of this month, it will be the 20th anniversary of the genre-defining classic, StarCraft. This game was of incredible importance to the industry, essentially creating esports and spawning the concept of live game broadcasts long before things like Twitch streaming. Blizzard Entertainment has plenty up its sleeve to help celebrate the game and to mark this important milestone.
You can relive the original now, through StarCraft: Remastered, as it has been available with high definition graphics and re-recorded audio since mid-last year. Anytime after March 6th, if you log in to play either StarCraft: Remastered or its sibling, StarCraft II, you will be able to access commemorative interface skins plus various portraits and decals available until April 6th.
Not everyone wants to replay the classic, knowing that, Blizzard still has you covered, providing several perks to players of other games in their universe, including:
- March 6th to April 3rd: Overwatch players can don a Sarah Kerrigan Ghost skin for the Widomaker character
- Beginning March 6th: Diablo III lovers can grab themselves a Dominion's Revenge battlecruiser-themed pet
- March 27th to April 7th: Log in to Heroes of the Storm to receive a 20th-anniversary portrait for Protoss, Terran and Zerg
- March 21st to 25th: Hearthstone players can join in on a Starcraft-inspired Tavern brawl to receive three Kobolds and Catacombs packs
- March 31st to April 6th: World of WarCraft players can bring StarCraft-themed pets into their character's lives
StarCraft evolved into a major phenomenon and was important in many gamer’s lives. On March 30th and 31st, Blizzard will also host a special event on Twitch, featuring a number of StarCraft personalities. Finally, a YouTube film entitled, “StarCraft is Life: A Celebration”, created by Blizzard and drawing inspiration from the memories of StarCraft’s biggest fans, will be released on March 31st to commemorate.