ReCore: Definitive Edition can be regarded as one of the worst kept secrets this year, after briefly appearing in the achievement lists of gamers who own the base game, and then showing up in the Windows Store, prior to its official announcement at gamescom.
The full changelog has been released and details several changes over the additional DLC that has been expected since its launch in 2016. Beyond several new traversable areas and a story mission, the game will add ten additional dungeons as well. It will also add the 'shifting sands' feature that was showcased at its reveal, which changes the landscape of the game dynamically during sand storms.
Performance wise, Recore: Definitive Edition will reduce the long loading times experienced in the original game to mere seconds, and in some cases reduce it to near zero, which could satisfy those who complained about these issues at launch. Gamers that own the Xbox One S will also receive visual enhancements with the inclusion of HDR support.
All the changes that can be expected are as follows:
- “Eye of Obsidian” is a brand new chapter in the ReCore story. Join the plucky Corebot, Violet, and journey into the permanent midnight of the “Starving Sea”, a previously unexplored region of Far Eden where ancient enemies plot their revenge on the last remnants of humankind!
- T8-NK Corebot (“Tank”)
New Areas to Explore
- 2 New Overworlds
- 10 New Dungeons
- Dynamic sandstorms in Far Eden’s Shifting Sands regions. Brave the storms to defeat more dangerous enemies and earn more valuable loot.
New Weapon Modes
- 3 new weapon modes for Joule’s Energy Rifle (switch to these instead of the charge shot)
- When dying, reload times for combat encounters went from 30-60 seconds to < 5 seconds
- Restarting traversals and arenas are now instantaneous (was a load before)
- Optimized Level/Area Load Times
- Added P-Cores for additional game play rewards and made them show up on the map from greater distances
- P-Core requirements fixed to a single value for the entire E-Tower. (Once you’re in the E-Tower, you no longer need additional cores.)
- The Map displays everything that needs to be collected (audio logs, chests, prismatic cores)
- The Map shows all visual parts of dungeon maps
- Objective Markers improved
- Map improvements (greater visual detail, better iconography, improved zoom functionality, more game elements show up like power cells, audio logs, etc)
- Fast Travel points now allow the player to complete Stash Transfers, Swap Cores and set their Companion Party Configuration without having to go back to the Sandcrawler
- The player can now warp anywhere there is a Fast Travel node via the Map
- Intra-Level (e.g. within The Cradle) fast travel warping is now instantaneous
- Added a few new Fast Travel nodes (Granite Steps, Lonely Basin, The Cradle)
- All new AoK gear for all Corebots
- Armor stats now make each Set vastly different from one another & the Perks have been refined and polished
- Blueprint Inventory now sorts by Armor Type, Color and LVL requirement
- Improved the Combo Meter to encourage much higher combo amounts, with the ability to chain combos for a longer period of time.
- At high combos (more than x10), the player now keeps some of the combo meter after using an extract!
- Global weapon tuning, enemy health and damage balancing, and late game encounter improvements
- Enhanced visuals (increased resolution and HDR support)
- 20 New Achievements and 500 gamerscore.
- Increased level cap from 30 to 40
- 4 new bosses and Tank challenges
- Various UX and Feedback fixes (Core Pulling HUD, Combo Counter feedback & wordsmithing, menu navigation)
- Audio for pickups, combat feedback, rewards improved
- Dialogue from Corebots and Violet is no longer in the Corebot language and is now readable
ReCore: Definitive Edition will go on sale on August 29, and will be a free upgrade to those who own the game already. For those who do not, however, the retail price will be $19.99 and it can be pre-ordered from the Windows Store.
For more gaming related news and reviews, follow us at @NeowinGaming on Twitter!