Unfortunately, these last few months haven’t been particularly enjoyable for Google Pixel 6 and Pixel 6 Pro users due to various bugs and glitches that were introduced in the December 2021 update.
The update even caused connectivity issues which initially resulted in Google disabling some of the Pixel-exclusive features. Eventually, the company pulled the December 2021 update for Pixel 6 devices entirely which left some users in an insecure state with November's security update, while others were on the December release that was riddled with issues.
Following this fiasco, Google has finally started rolling out the January 2022 update to Pixel 6 devices, and the over-the-air (OTA) update should become available to everyone in the next few days. Google has noted that its latest release also contains the security patches from December 2021. Here is the change log for the OTA update:
- Fix for issue causing screen to unlock after missed call when no screen lock is set.
Network & Telephony
- Improvements for data connectivity on certain networks and conditions.
- Fix for issue preventing use of Call Screen feature on certain networks.
- Fix for issue preventing emergency calls in certain conditions while some third-party apps are installed.
- Fix for issue preventing Pixel Stand setup to start after updating apps in certain conditions.
- Fix for issue causing higher background battery usage in certain conditions.
- Fix for issue causing incorrect data usage accounting in Network menu on some networks.
- Fix for issue causing device to reboot in certain conditions after taking an OTA software update.
- Fix for issue causing a black frame to appear when dismissing the Assistant overlay on the lock screen.
- Fix for issue causing memory leak in system UI under certain conditions.
- Fix for issue causing navigation bar to be hidden when switching device orientation in certain conditions.
- Fix for issue causing PIP window to render incorrectly for certain apps.
- Fix for issue causing Wi-Fi network to drop connection in certain conditions.
As noted by GSMArena, the update weighs in at around 215MB if you currently have the November 2021 security update and 40MB if you already have the botched December 2021 update. The January 2022 security patch should be available to all Pixel 6 owners within the next few days, provided that everything goes well.