It's not the latest and greatest, but it is a smartphone... and it's on sale at Australia Post -- the government-owned Australian postal service. The entry-level ZTE B795 Boost Icon Nero smartphone has received a price cut of more than 90% bringing the price down to a ridiculous AUD$5 (which is about USD$3.60).
The specs that the smartphone has were cutting edge in 2008, but at the moment are a bit dated. They include:
- 3.5″ Capacitive TFT display (480 x 320)
- 1.0GHz dual core MT6572M CPU
- 512MB RAM
- 4GB storage with 2GB user space, expandable to 32GB via MicroSD Card
- 2MP Rear camera w/ 5x digital zoom
- Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth 3.0 with stereo headset support
- Connectivity: 3G UMTS: 850, 2100 MHz 2G GSM: 900, 1800, 1900 MHz
- Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean*
- 1200 mAh replacable Li-ion Battery
*The ZTE website indicates that Android 4.4 KitKat may be available, but gives conflicting information.
Other Australian retailers like Target and Big W have the same device listed around an average price of ~AUD$45 and both retailers have price matching guarantees in place which could see them match Australia Post's price if stock is an issue.
While this isn't exactly the newest smartphone on the market... or anywhere near it... the device is brand new and for $5 it makes for a great alarm clock, kids toy or back up device.