When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Here’s how it works.

Android usage: Almost six months after its release, Nougat is now on just 1.2% of devices

Google has published its latest monthly breakdown of platform usage, showing the proportion of active devices running each version of the Android OS.

The data was collected during a seven-day period ending on February 6, and shows very little change among the oldest versions of the OS still in use, including Android 2.3 Gingerbread, which is destined to lose Google Play Services support very soon.

Version Codename API Last month This month Change
2.33 - 2.3.7 Gingerbread 10 1.0% 1.0% -
4.0.3 - 4.0.4 Ice cream sandwich 15 1.1% 1.0% -0.1
4.1.x Jelly Bean 16 4.0% 4.0% -
4.2.x 17 5.9% 5.7% -0.2
4.3 18 1.7% 1.6% -0.1
4.4 KitKat 19 22.6% 21.9% -0.7
5.0 Lollipop 21 10.1% 9.8% -0.3
5.1 22 23.3% 23.1% -0.2
6.0 Marshmallow 23 29.6% 30.7% 1.1
7.0 Nougat 24 0.5% 0.9% 0.4
7.1 25 0.2% 0.3% 0.1

There wasn't much of an increase in usage for the very newest versions either. Almost six months after its release, Android 7.0 Nougat is now on just 0.9% of active devices, while the newer version 7.1 - which made its debut on Google's flagship Pixel phones in October - has reached only 0.3% of devices. Together, both Nougat versions are running on just 1.2% of active Android devices.

Android 6.0 Marshmallow continues to grow in usage; 16 months after its rollout began, it rose by over 1 percentage point compared with last month, passing the 30% milestone for the first time. This is no great surprise given that even major manufacturers, such as HTC, are continuing to launch new devices with Marshmallow, despite months of Nougat availability.

Android 5.0 and 5.1 Lollipop together account for 32.9% of devices, while the three-and-a-half-year-old Android 4.4 KitKat is still installed on nearly 22% of devices in use.

Google's monthly breakdowns of Android version usage continue to paint an ugly picture of the platform's fragmentation. That not only causes complications for developers, but also indicates that a startlingly large proportion of Android users have no access to the latest software updates, including the newest security patches for their devices.

Source: Android Developers

Report a problem with article
Next Article

Get this Big Data and Hadoop Analytics Certification course Bundle for just $59

Previous Article

Kantar: iOS sales rise in key markets; Android solidifies global lead; Windows phone falls

Join the conversation!

Login or Sign Up to read and post a comment.

22 Comments - Add comment