Microsoft has released a new update for PowerToys that brings improvements and fixes to the app. The company has noted that due to the holiday season PowerToys will get general improvements in this week's update. However, Microsoft has features like new plug-ins for PowerToys Run in the pipeline but they will show up in future releases.
This week's version 0.29 update brings improvements and bug fixes to the Color Picker, FancyZones and PowerToys Run. Furthermore, it also adds an option to extract the MSI from the .exe. Here is the full changelog for the update:
- Bug report tool and improved logging.
- Various localization improvements.
- CodeQL added. Triggered via a cron timer twice a day.
- "How to use" docs moved to https://docs.microsoft.com/windows/powertoys/
- This will allow the community to do direct PRs against those documents
- .NET Core upgrade for code bases the PowerToys team controls is complete. We still have two external dependencies that are .NET Framework that need to be updated.
- General bug fixes
- Added ability to provide the name of the color at parity with Office and WinUI Color Picker.
- Allows to use Windows Snap on desktops that don't have a layout applied and for apps that are in the excluded list.
- Bug fixes
- Improved performance
- PT Run now supports accented characters.
- Option to extract the MSI from the .exe for enterprise scenarios and more options to do unattended installations.
- Removed toast notifications during installation.
If you are interested in trying out PowerToys on Windows 10 then you can download the version 0.29 update from the GitHub release page. Existing PowerToys users will get the update automatically but they can launch PowerToys and click on "Check for updates" to download the latest update manually.