After the fiery debacle associated with the Galaxy Note7, which was ultimately and unsurprisingly pinned upon its battery, Samsung went back to the drawing board and came up with a comprehensive eight-point battery safety check to ensure that future smartphones, such as the Galaxy S8 would not suffer the same fate.
Now, What's Inside managed to get their hands on the Samsung Galaxy S8 and, in collaboration with Zach Nelson from JerryRigEverything, gradually disassembled the phone. Of particular interest is what happened after the device had been subjected to a Dremel multitool, which managed to cut through the smartphone's battery.
As can be seen in the above video, the lithium-ion battery did indeed heat and swell up with some liquid leaking from the device. While the battery did not catch fire, a small amount of smoke was emitted at around the 6m56s mark of the video, for a few seconds. After allowing a period to cool down, Nelson then cut into the battery with a knife, with no negative side effects observed.
Sure, a test sample of one phone is hardly scientific or indicative of what could be expected from the S8 on a consistent basis, but Samsung could be back on the front foot if it has indeed lifted its game with regards to battery safety measures.