When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Here’s how it works.

Windows 10 now being used by just under 50% of Steam gamers

Last month, we reported that Windows 10 had reached its all-time high market share on Steam, and it appears that the OS is now solidifying its position as the system used by nearly half of all gamers on the platform. The latest hardware survey indicates that Windows 10 is now being used by 49.6% of Steam users which is a slight increase from the 49.33% reported last month.

The latest survey highlights that 48.37% of users are using the 64-bit version of Windows 10, while 1.23% were utilizing the 32-bit variant, accounting for a total of 49.6%. The 64-bit version of Windows 7 was the only other iteration of Microsoft's OS which showed an increase in usage, climbing to 28.82%. All other versions of the OS showed a decline or remained stagnant. In total, Windows is now used by 95.40% of all Steam gamers - a 0.06% decline compared to last month.

Meanwhile, the OS X user base increased by 0.07%, due to the slight rise in the usage of version 10.12.1, which means that the system now accounts for 3.59% of Steam gamers.

Linux continued its slow and steady decline, and now accounts for a meager 0.88% of all Steam users.

Hardware preferences remained more or less the same as the previous report. 8GB of RAM is still the most used system configuration, accompanied by 1GB of VRAM. Primary display resolution on a single monitor remains at 1920x1080 and the resolution on a multi-monitor setup still rests at 3840x1080. The NVIDIA GTX 970 is the most commonly used video card, utilized by 4.90% of all Steam gamers.

With that being said, it is important to note that Steam's monthly hardware statistics report is based upon random surveys so it may not depict the situation with complete accuracy.

Source: Valve

Report a problem with article
Next Article

Creators of Minecraft: Pocket Edition celebrate five years of development

Previous Article

Reddit CEO initiates crackdown against 'toxic' Trump supporters

Join the conversation!

Login or Sign Up to read and post a comment.

21 Comments - Add comment